Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water cylinder with built in heat pump

Options
  • 01-09-2022 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been looking at the hot water cylinders (300L) with a built in heat pump as I think that they would suit my setup quite well.

Basically, the heat pump takes the warm air from the hot press, compresses and converts this into electrical energy (water immersion heater) resulting in an 800W input equating to a ~3kW heating element.

Does anybody here have experience of these?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I dont know anything about them, but if it takes heat from inside the house (hotpress), then it defeats the purpose. This heat has to be generated from sonewhere...🤔

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You would be far better off replacing the hot water cylinder with a fully insulated one and insulate the hot pipes. A modern "hot press" should not be any warmer inside than outside the hot press.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Lookup Ariston Nuous

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

I have something similar, an Atlantic hot water heat pump. I could be wrong but I don't think that will go in your existing hot press, unless you can vent it externally, so you will have to core through a wall provide an exhaust.

So our machine is now in our utility room, rather that hot press to allow this.

It is essentially a air to water heat pump for hot water only, works very well with my solar, and even without it costs about €1.50 in electricity from stone cold to 270 litres @ 62 degrees.

Any idea of the energy required in kwh to carry out the above?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's the craziest thing....

So it can in effect be part of the exhaust flow from a HRV system. Pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

When my pump is running it's using about 0.7kwh of electricity

That figure is probably the compressor power in KW, it would take 13.2 kwh to heat 270 litres of water from a present 20C to 62C so I would expect the heat pump to run for - 4.5/5 hours and consume around 2.8 kwh.

Advertisement