Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ombudsman or similar for new build issue

Options
  • 31-08-2022 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi All,

We moved into our new build house at the start of May, towards the end of June we saw water patches and stains on the living room ceiling. They were pretty quick to come out, took a couple of weeks to come back as they wanted to wait to see if it got worse, it did. When they did they cut a hole in the ceiling, put a bucket down to collect a leak which was very slow and then took several weeks to come back out again.

Every time I'm told that the plumber is busy over several sites and they only have one plumber. He finally came last week and fixed the issue, or so I thought, with the plasterer due to come Friday to plaster the various holes in the house he created. Thankfully the plasterer didn't come because on Friday evening when I put the heating on it started leaking again but a lot worse than before. As the hole was still in the ceiling it was easy to see.

Now the plumber was supposed to come back on Monday, then yesterday and today when I asked, as I pointed out it's due to rain this weekend so would like to be able to use my heating I was basically told they'll get to you when they get to you.

Is there any system, such as an ombudsman or similar in place I can actually complain to about this? I don't want to be waiting what could be another 8 weeks for a plumber to show again when he did say the issue was caused when the house was being built and now it's worse because of what he did.

Sorry for the long message but I thought maybe a bit of context would help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm not aware of anything like that someone else might know better.

My only advice is become a pain in the arse, its not right and you shouldn't have to do it, but it is completely unacceptable for them to leave an active leak for days let alone weeks.

Become a thorn in their side so its easier for them to fix the problem rather than try ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Go as high up the company as you can. (See LinkedIn, company website) Explain that you have been patient and reasonable, outline the timelines, how things are getting worse, and the repairs needed are becoming greater due to inaction. Explain that you would like this resolved, as a priority as you have been more than accommodating and reasonable to date and that if you have to get your solicitor or even the media involved costs are going to escalate for everyone and neither of us wants that.

It is likely that those with the authority to make things happen in the company are not even aware of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I think I'll have to do both of these suggestions. I hate being that person but I guess needs must at times.

I'd give them a reasonable date to have the repairs completed by, after that look to have a third party complete the repairs. If they have had one attempt to rectify the leak and have made it worse I'd have concerns about the abilities of the developers plumber. Recoup the costs of the third party repairs from the developer through legal means if required.

Advertisement