Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable roast date?

Options
  • 31-08-2022 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

When ordering beans from a roastery what do you think is the oldest acceptable date of roasting?

After trying a sample from www.theoldbarracks.ie I decided to order a full bag because I really was impressed.

I ordered on the 28th of this month and the beans I received are dated 29/07/2022

Does that seem a bit old for such premium priced coffee? I don't usually drink much coffee so know very little but all the info I've read online seems to state that coffee is at its best 1 - 3 weeks after roasting.

I've not opened it yet, do you think I should be able to tell the difference from the presumebly fresher sample I've tried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Depends on the roastery and what they claim.

Some places will state that they roast on a certain day each week, then send the orders, others don't say but may show the roast date of the coffees on the website. Some roasters don't advertise a roast date, but do have a BBE (which can sometimes be assumed to 1 year on from the roast date)

Personally, when ordering online I'll only use roasters that state a roast day of the week and I'll expect my beans to be roasted on that date. If the roast day is Tuesday and I order on a thursday I'd expect the roast date to be 2 days previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

At the price they charge I would not be happy with that tbh - €62 per kg for a 85.75 is wild.

Some places ship within a day or so of roast - personally I am fine with anything around the week mark - or maybe a bit longer if it has been a lag on the courier side. I think if you are paying premium prices you are entitled to make the call on how fresh you want it to be yourself.

Advertisement