Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2019 BMW 520 Estate - Alternatives

Options
  • 29-08-2022 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Currently driving a 2014 BMW 520 Diesel estate and looking to change in the near future.

Really like the car, which I bought in the UK in 2018, so initially looking to get the same again, probably 2019 model.

First question - based on my preference for the 5 series estate, is there anything else I should be looking at? (aware of A6 Avant and E Class estate - anything else?)

Second question - Having imported the current car and the previous one, I'd like to do the same again but is NI the only viable option these days with the VAT rules or is it even viable at all? Are many people still importing cars?

Thanks for all input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My choice would be the A6 avant if you're looking for estates but that's just me.

Other option in same size would be the skoda superb, would come in a bit cheaper than the 3 cars you mentioned in OP. Volvo V90 maybe too.

Can't think of much else out there unless you're happy to go a bit smaller and go for 3 series, c class or a4 estate.

Skoda Octavia maybe as a more budget friendly option you'd be looking at a new one for the price of 2018 cars of some of the other ones.

As for the importing, I can't see you getting one in for any decent money from UK or NI, not at the minute anyway with the FX rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Hi OP. I bought a 2020 520d m sport estate last year. Had an extended test drive of an a6 avant as well. There was no comparison between the two for me. BMW just felt better - nicer cabin, way better to drive. The a6 has a fiddly touch screen for everything. Not exactly comparing like with like though as it wasn’t an S line Audi.

Previously had an E class estate. Another one to consider for you. Really comfortable and feels v premium. The boot is absolutely massive too. Still prefer the BMW though.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Where are you based? A v good independent dealer in Dublin City centre often has some nice estates. Not sure I can give the name here. The stock is generally sourced from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you like how the 5 Series drives then the Jaguar XF estate might be close to that over the likes of the A6, V90 or E Class. XF interior fit and finish wouldn't be quite upto the 5 Series or others though. XF estate is fairly rare too even in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got the saloon of the XF, a 2016 R-Sport model, with the same engine as above.

Inside, it is a lovely car, I understand that some reviews have taken issue with the interior fit but mine is fantastic, solid, lots of stitched leather.

Lots of extras to look for, the radar cruise control, parking cameras, powered wing mirrors, heated front window, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, an LCD control panel as well as the wider entertainment display.

My car has the control panel upgrade as well as the main display, but lacks the others, which is a pity.

But it is a lovely car to drive, I prefer it to my previous 2012 520d MSport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I don't think you'll find anything to better the current G31, particularly if you like your current F11. The newer car is better in every way and has very few weaknesses, unlike nearly all the competition which fall short in some respect.

Advertisement