Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming ownership of abandoned bike

Options
  • 29-08-2022 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey all,

I've been given a bike that's been abandoned in a shed for about 15 years. It's an old Yamaha Dragstar 250.

I've gotten the forms needed to claim ownership (SD72645 for future reference if anyone needs it), but I'll need to get someone to come and verify the bike is what I say it is for the form. They just need to verify the details on the form are valid (reg number & VIN).

The bike is in Dublin 15, would anyone have a recommendation for a motorbike shop that would do this?

Also, I obviously have to make the bike roadworthy - it's only got 10k on the clock, so it's pretty new in that sense, but would anyone have a ballpark of what I need to get done. I need a new ignition barrel as we can't find the key, but that's easy enough to sort once I've claimed ownership.

I'll definitely need new tyres, and I'll probably get a new set of brakes for peace of mind, and it'll need a service. Anything else jump out to anyone as a must do if you were to take a bike that had been sitting for so many years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

It'll probably need a new chain and sprockets, new fork seals, budget for a good secondhand shock because if that's not moved in 15 years it might either be seized or just break its seals. You'll probably need to look at wheel bearings and steering head bearings.

Not massive stuff. It'll be interesting to work away on it. The best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I doubt you'll get anyone out to look at the bike you'll need to transport it to a Yamaha dealer and they'll verify it for you.

The bike will need all seals replaced, new tyres, battery and then when you strip it, you'll need to lubricate/replace all the bearings, down you'll find out what else it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helloyeshi

Thanks so much folks! I'll follow up on those.

Advertisement