Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a Motorhome newbie

Options
  • 28-08-2022 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there.

Hoping to get some help or be directed to relevant threads which no doubt have already extensively covered my questions. See below!

1. What Motorhome would you recommend for a complete novice, who will have 2 teenagers , a dog and some surfboards in tow? We plan to use it around Ireland first for a year, then go further afield when I’m fully confident. Which leads to my next question….
    2. How long did it take for you (particularly single women) to feel confident enough to drive abroad alone? And did you feel safe doing so?
    3. Will it be difficult to get insurance as a 40 year old woman with absolutely NO prior driving experience (in the process of taking lessons now and doing quite well if I do say so myself :p!) Working on getting my full license. I’ve read it’s more expensive to insure motorhome as a primary vehicle but that’s what I’ll have to do. Have always had the exes car for family things & I live on a great transport link for work. Plus I cycle & scoot also so, there was never any need for me to have a car. I’m guessing all that’s going to go against me though, huh?

I would be enormously grateful for your time and all info, suggestions & advice are most welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SarahJane8

any advice will be adhered to and appreciated!

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

Wonderful idea Sarahjane, You probably have a couple of insurance brokers nearby. I would suggest that you pop in and ask them to give you an idea of cost of insurance for a novice driver. That way you will have a clear idea of the cost rather than opinions which can be way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Driving it is no problem but insurance sounds like a deal breaker, for example dolment do camper insurance, you need 5 years clean driving on a full license. You can get it as your main vehicle but it's twice the price at about 7 800 euros, still cheap.

If I was way you I'd get the full license, get something like a VW caddy and put an Errigle camping pod it back of it. Then when you are able upgrade to a camper. You can have a boot tent to give shelter and a second tent if the teenagers want to come with you.

I've surfed all over Ireland winter and summer in camper van it's great but cold in winter so good sleeping gear in essential. People are friendly and you'll be fine camping in the likes of Easkey, Trawee, Enniscrone, around sligo in general. Same with Doolin, not sure about Lahinch but I always camp out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Shoog

Make sure whatever you buy has been insured as a campervan before and ask to see evidence of that insurance. There are quite a few dodgy conversions out there which you will never get properly insured (especially in your particular driving situation which will severly limit your options). Really a commercial camper is your safest (but most expensive option).

Things should start to get better in terms of the over inflated prices since many will now drop out of the market after they discovered they really didn't like their covid investment. Take along a mechanic or someone who know vehicles to avoid buying a lemon. I would be extremely cautious about buying from anyone who lives on the coast - they will probably have real serious rot issues from the sea breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly get your full licence before you buy anything. Get a firm insurance quote based on the reg before you buy anything.

I suggest renting a campervan first before buying to see what you like and don't like. For example some people want a toilet, others don't. Most will use campsite toilet even if they have a toilet.

As a new driver I would not recommend a big camper. They are very hard to drive on typical Irish country roads particularly in tourist areas through narrow main streets.

I have no idea on your budget but if going abroad you would need a fairly reliable camper which means big money. You need to factor in cost if campsites, ferries and time to get there and back.

If travelling alone consider a smaller van with no toilet. Stay each night at official camp sites. You may want to get driving experience in an ordinary small car first for a year or two before driving anything bigger but that depends on how you get on. For some people they struggle with anything big.

Reversing cameras can help which can be fitted but typically for larger vehicles it's recommended to have someone else guide you if you need to reverse or park in tight spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Will companies rent to a novice driver? You can struggle to get a rental car when a novice driver

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think the full B Licence is minimum! and have it for 5 years! I am not sure if an automatic licence will make it more difficult.

I found France and Germany cater for RV/Camper vans, campsites with water, and electric.

We shared the driving, but I always found reversing a challenge - especially since we had the bikes on a rack at the back. I think it would be great if an insurance company rather than charge you 400 extra, offer lower prices, if you attended say an afternoon of camper van specific driving lessons.

I did find driving a vw van (the more boxy 90's version not the cool earlier VW van) a help when driving a larger Camper van!

Maybe defunct in the era of the wireless internet - but we had a lidl portable satellite dish and decoder and were able to get the Astra 28 channels so watch the football from the euros or world cup..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

You need to decide whether you want a campervan or a motorhome.

Campervan - small van size, normally no toilet - typically a pop top roof and folding seats to make a double bed. Great for wild camping, weekends, festivals etc

Motorhome - much larger vehicle with fixed beds, and much more living space. Much more comfortable for extended periods but much less practical as an everyday vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's nothing stopping you going to a driving school that does C or C1 lessons and asking for some lessons in your van. Driving is about constant learning and getting it right from the start makes it easier as you go, lots of things you can do in car can lead to problems in large vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

A reversing camera is a must have if you are nervous and most hire companies will recommend or insist your passanger get out and stand at rear of vehicle while reversing to be sure you don't hit anything.

Reversing and turning while reversing is a skill you don't want to learn by damaging the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Most of my campervan/RV experience was pre-reversing-cameras being the norm, and not in the old campervan, but they are such a help. A passenger giving instructions and backing you in is sometimes a challenge in itself in communications and signals;) but I agree essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 niteowles

Hi Sarah Jane

I met a lady called Siobhan while touring the West of Ireland this year . Lovely lady from Leeds traveling around Ireland and UK. She used to work for the BBC, packed it all in, sold the house bough a motor home and took to the roads 3 years ago. She just wrote a book called Retirement Rebel. Her website is Shuon Shuv off , well worth taking look.

Advertisement