Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair amount to charge adult living at home

Options
  • 28-08-2022 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

How much do people think is fair for a parent to charge a 26 year old living at home? Should they pay nothing or pay the bills or pay rent? What is a fair amount to charge to still allow them to save

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,173 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you need the money? Can you be sure they're actually saving if you don't charge them?

I know of people who charged 'rent' which was actually lodged in to account in the kids name; because they were never going to save otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,821 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Market rent for a house-share in the area. Split bills equally on top of that. And they do a share of cooking + cleaning.

Reason: 26. Not 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Few bob towards utilities. unless you are struggling with a mortgage, I wouldn't be looking for money to live there, providing they are actively saving money towards a deposit for a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

I think it depends on your own circumstances, whether you need additional income or not. Having said that, I don't think that an adult should live for free, unless full time in college, even if they are saving for a deposit etc. Electricity, heating, food, repairs etc all cost money.

€75-150 per week incl food and bills seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How much does it cost to run the household per year? Food & drinking, household items, utilities, heating, TV / broadband / phone, bins, maintenance, repairs, decoration, insurance, management company fees, furniture and appliance replacement. Who does the housekeeping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, gardening?

Their ability to save or not will be dependent on their income and lifestyle - things that you can't directly control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

do they earn anything? will they inherit the house eventually?

if a full time worker on min wage i would say €75 per week depending on where you are. but if kid will inherit the house, its near on redundant. transferring wealth to you, only for it to be passed back eventually.

so many variables, main question is, what do you want? what does kid want? do those wants align?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We do this, €300/month rent or €300 saved that we’ve visibility of, he chose the save option, we’d have saved the rent for him anyway, he’ll thank us in time

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I pay my parents €500 per month and also pay for the Sky which is €80 PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Kurooi

'Fair' would be the market rate, of their room in a house share (NOT a 1 bed apartment) plus a share of what they consume in utilities. A good few of my friends that age would pay about 800-1000 a month incl bills. Dublin 3 bed place 2-3kish rent splities between 3-4 people plus utilities. But that's Dublin prices!

That's the upper bounds. And assuming they earn around 1800-2000 that age, that still allows for a bit of life and savings. I agree with others, if you can afford to and you see them trying to get their life in order - it makes a huge difference when parents give you that little extra help in the early life. If that's so charge a symbolic rate (100-200 eur) , maybe put a bill or two in their name so they have some documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Toby22

Was going to post similar question . It’s not so much about the bills as we have come to an agreement on that, but it’s the housework. If they lived in a house share they would have to Hoover, clean bathrooms etc (hopefully). Housework is non existent, kitchen is kept spotless but that’s all. Do I charge a house cleaning fee🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If necessary, yes. Make a list of tasks. Sit them down and ask who does the shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, gardening, maintenance, repairs, decoration, household admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I handed up £50 per week out of £125 around 1998/99

€100 weekly minimum I'd say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I feel like if you charge rent and bills, it requires a shift away from a parent/child mindset or else it's not fair. That means treating them like a normal tenant in your home and not making any demands of them that you wouldn't make of a third party tenant. Many parents think they can charge adult children rent while still treating them like school children and having that "My house, my rules" mindset. Part of the reason young people are willing to pay rent is to get away from their parents' rules! I'd factor your willingness around that into the rent charged. If you still want to have rules and control, then reduce the amount of rent proportionately below market rate. If you want to allow them to live entirely independently of you, then charge market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What some parents do is to insist that the child's wages are paid into the parents bank account. The parents then give the child what they consider to be a reasonable amount for the child's needs and the parents keep the remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That's not going to help with a mortgage application!

OP it depends on why you're charging them. Do you need the money? Are you teaching them that they have to pay their own way through life? Do you intend to give them back the money in the form of a deposit?

That would be a strong indication for the child to get the hell out as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That's the most ridiculously infantilising nonsense I've ever heard of in my life and I've literally never come across anyone who's actually done it, thank fook.

OP, I've found myself back at home recently. I pay €600 a month, plus a top up on the electricity. I buy all my own groceries, obvs, but also cook for my folks a couple of times a week. Have my own broadband too, but that's mostly because I was still in contract when I moved out of my rented house.

@Faith makes a really good point about the house dynamics. Obviously I'm not paying market rent but even if I was, it would still very much be the case that I'm living in my folks' house. I'm lucky in that my parents are pretty cool but my Dad still gets first dibs on the TV, my boyfriend can't stay over, etc. I can't wait to move back out but with the market the way it is, I honestly have no idea when that might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,821 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Doubt they intended to have kids that will resent them and likely bit be too willing to assist them when they're old. But that's what that nonsense would cause

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That's a complete crock of sh!t if you ask me, I can't even imagine an employer paying your salary into another persons account. We've 2 kids aged 22 and 27 both still living at home. The 22 yr old is still in college so works part time and keeps her earnings. The 27 yr old was living in an apartment for almost 2 years but came home last year so she could save. She is on a pretty high salary and is saving a fair amount each month but pays us €200 per month. We mostly put this away to give back when she leaves home again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement