Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future-proofing for PV

• 28-08-2022 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭

Have purchased a house and doing some renovation work ATM. PV panels are in the Todo list for the medium term so want to put in place whatever's required to prevent ripping up floors or walls in future.

The main electrical panel is located in a utility room, beneath a bedroom, which is going to be internally insulated. So, I'm thinking it makes sense to run a conduit behind the insulated plasterboard from the attic to the utility room. My question is, how big should this conduit be? Would a standard 20mm one be enough to hold whatever's required?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭allinthehead

If It's to be concealed in the wall then it should be in steel conduit or trunking.

20mm would probably only allow one cable to be pulled through. I would say 25mm minimum, you could even put in two 25mm side by side with pull wires in each. A 50 by 50 trunking would be another option.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Number of cable depends on how many panels and how the panels are wired back to the inverter.

From looking at commercial installations I don't think its one cable back to inverter

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’ll be shot but here goes, either 6sq or 10sq SWA with spooling in attic and 4 CAT6 alongside

Even if using swa I would still have it in a steel conduit or trunking. Swa concealed could still be penetrated by a nail, drill or screw.

☀️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So can steel.. If the person is determined enough!

Maybe a double box with a blank plate in the room upstairs to indicate that there is something behind the wall, Also would help feed the cables.

Standard inverter just needs a power cable.

Hybrid inverters need a power cable and a cable for CT's

and possibly a second power cable for backup power.

• Advertisement

😄 You'd want to be very determined to get through 25mm steel conduit. You could go through the trunking a bit easier to be fair but that's a good idea with the box.

☀️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Think about all the bare cables already in our partitioned upstairs floors, anyone with a half brain with sensor check for cables.

You would want to be determined to pierce SWA

You would think so, but I've had many cables pierced over the years by kitchen fitters etc even when the socket or switch are visible directly below. Either way if it was my house I'd be putting in trunking with pull wires to allow for any scenario.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Thanks all. Will go with two 25mm steel conduits.

Advertisement