Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing costs

Options
  • 25-08-2022 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All, just wanted to check to make sure I am not being screwed with prices, any opinion welcome:

Bought an old house 90m2 1930s work that I am getting done:

Replacing electric shower

Replacing all copper pipes with pex

Zoned heating (upstairs downstairs)

New hot tank + immersion

Removal /moving of two rads

New toilet installation.

New sink

Few other small little bits.

So far it is coming to roughly 4500e including VAT.

Does this sound reasonable? Seems pricey, but I really have no idea. It is so hard to get plumbers at the moment that I can't even get various quotes to compare.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's pretty vague. The Shower for example could be €400 supplied & fitted or €1000 if you are going up in KW (you most likely are) & it needs to be rewired.

Why are you replacing copper with plex? If it's plumbed incorrectly then I'd say yes but otherwise why change? A power flush will clean out the pipes. Far cheaper than replumbing.

Just talking to a friend earlier and he charger over €800 to supply & fit a larger hot water cylinder this week.

Just random thoughts but may give you a better idea on the price

• Registered Users Posts: 21 misterreginald96

Thanks sleeper,

So more of a breakdown :

650 + Vat for new tank

450 + VAT for shower

Then 3100 for zoning, replacing pipes (honestly I was just advised by people to do it because the house is old and the plex is more efficient?) Toilet install, sink install and fix of sink pipes, oh and cooker install, move rads etc. I wasn't given a break down for all those bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't do general plumbing so I'm not really up on the prices. Cooker install could be €100 if literally just wiring in where an old one was but would be a lot more if first time installation or moving cooker.

I'm happy to be corrected but I've never seen any spec sheet to suggest that plex is more efficient than copper. What would make either one more efficient is insulating the pipes. If there are leaks, drips, dips and high points in the pipes or if a lot is done in half inch rather than three quarter pipe then I see the logic in replacing the pipes.

For the zoning part I think there is a grant. Might be worth looking into.

I don't think it's crazy money with today's prices. I'm always more concerned that the work is done correctly. For example I'd be looking for an electrician on the job. There is a fair bit of wiring to be done with heating controls, automatic valves, cooker and electric shower. I wouldn't be happy with the plumber doing all of that.

I'm looking at PV solar myself. I've had several quotes & I definitely won't be going with the cheapest ones. The cheaper ones offer a set package. Ask for anything outside of their limited knowledge and they have a blank look on their face. You can't mix & match anything. The good ones will source any make panels, inverter, batteries etc. They have the knowledge to make any variation work. PV has nothing to do with your situation. I use it as an example of getting the job done correctly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

As Sleeper said above. You might need a new wire run for the shower. This in turn might lead to a requirement to have the whole house rewired. You probably should run this by an electrician. Just in case you get blind-sided by this.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement