Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling A Car That Doesn't Run

Options
  • 25-08-2022 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

What are the options available for selling a car that doesn't run? I have a 2012 saloon car, high spec, NCT until late 2023 but it has a few mechanical issues that could cost anywhere from 1 - 3 k. The value of the car in working condition is about 9 - 10k.

If I don't have the cash currently to front up for the repairs, and on top of that I have a second vehicle and that's all I need for now then is there any option for dealer/trader to take the car, fix it, and resell at a profit. Just looking to see what my options are here - whoever buys would need to run their own diagnostics I imagine to evaluate cost of repair, and of course it would need to be towed to their mechanic. I just don't want it sitting in my driveway depreciating so what do you recommend as best course of action?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Stick it on Donedeal in the damaged/repairable section with a description and see who calls. Expensive way of getting rid of it though, not many people are likely to want to take a chance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your problem will be how are you going to get a fair price for it if the problem/cost of repair isn't known to you or a potential buyer. If it's a complicated problem then a buyer isn't going to be able to diagnose it at your house, will assume the worst and make an offer based on that. So expect low ball offers "to take it off your hands".

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Ideally I want some trader/dealer to take a look at cost of repair and then to make me an offer, not sure if that type of service exists though??

Worth 9k

Estimate to fix up to 3k

Expect offers, if any, of 4k and less- it’s just too much of a gamble- would you buy it?

You could instead, talk to your mechanic, tell him to make good, and that you will pay once you sell the car- if you do indeed get 9k for the car, at least you’ll walk away with 6k

Just be realistic for the moment around what the car is really worth and what others are asking for similar in running condition

Best bet is get your mechanic to tow and appraise- otherwise you’ll loose 1000s- you could even get a temporary loan assuming car is fixable and will sell for the figures your quoting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

What car is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭RoscommonHero

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭User1998

If your really not willing to fix it just post it on Donedeal for a very reasonable price and someone will buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

I think you're overestimating the cars value unless there's something special about it, have you looked at similar for sale?

The handful around that age that are on DD are asking €6-7k.

You've sort of answered your own question if you can't fix it but don't want to leave it lying up until you can fix it. As others have suggested, the 'Breaking & Repairables' section of DD is the best bet.

Unfortunately at the end of the day it's a 10 year old car needing potentially lots of work so it's current value is very low as it stands. If it was an insurance job for a few grands worth of work on it, it would probably be 'beyond economic repair' and they'd write it off.

Personally I'd bite the bullet and get it diagnosed and repairs costed and then you'll 100% know where you stand, as there's a big difference in viability between a €1k & €3k repair bill.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Advertisement