Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Surveying or Quantity Surveying?

Options
  • 23-08-2022 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I'm currently working in a Junior Quantity Surveying role, it's a good company, the salary is ok for the career level and the culture in the company is fairly relaxed. The problem is that it is a very monotonous, tedius job and the training is limited and it is 99% desk/office based.

I have the opportunity to pivot into Building Surveying which is about 60% based outside the office attending different sites and 40% at the office writing reports etc.

The main issue concerning me is the long term salary and the type of work. Quantity Surveyors have the potential to earn very good money but are mostly desk bound crunching numbers on excel, Building Surveyors can earn decent money but not as much as a QS but are out of the office doing site inspections and building surveys most of the time.

I've also been toying with the idea of going out on my own working freelance once I'm fully qualified and experienced but I'm not sure which of the two would be the best for this.

I'd appreciate any opinions from people who have worked in the construction industry or professions or anyone who might have something to add.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads here and whatever decision I make at this point it will have to be for the long term.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Can I ask are you a PQS or a CQS?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

get qualified first

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Hi Tefral,

I'm working with a tier 1 contractor, doing mostly residential projects.

Qualified as a QS before switching to BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Gotta agree there. Get your chartership and then move if you want. That way you arent throwing away the last few years experience. Are you registered on the APC?

• Advertisement

Not registered for it yet. Not much support for the APC where I'm at.

It might be best to stick it out either way. Thanks for the input 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Just on the topic of the fore-mentioned APC:

Might not be a popular opinion but the APC/Chartered route is pointless unless you're working for a PQS consultancy. And even at that, you'll see 90% of the advertised PQS jobs on Indeed & Irishjobs state ''chartered or working towards''. If they want you, they won't care and will set you up to get start you're APC the minute you're in the door.

After 5 years post grad experience it only takes a year to complete if it's something you've an eye on.

Anyway, if you stay with QS'ing, just shop around for new jobs that suit you better than being stuck at the desk. Lots of Main Contractors want Project QS's on the actual site. And the money at the moment for these type of jobs is crazy!

Advertisement