Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placebo - 3Arena 5 December 2022

Options
  • 23-08-2022 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to this.

I recall there was some argy bargy on one of the threads a few months back on Arcade Fire versus Placebo. I have listened to the most recent album of both bands. For me, Arcade Fires album is ok. Have listened to it a few times. But Placebo album is phenomenal. Cannot stop listening to it. I enjoy most of their albums anyway, but most generally have lots of skippable filler. But the new album doesn't. It's almost perfect. Some of the heavy hitters blow away what they have done before - Sad White Reggae, Surrounded by Spies, Fix Yourself, This is what you wanted, Beautiful James.

Cannot wait to hear the new songs live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Don't mention the war! 😂

Seen Placebo loads and they always deliver. Have to say, the new album isn't doing it for me but I'm delighted it works for other people

Still put off by the idea of heading to Dublin on a Monday night, but I suspect I'll crack and get a ticket nearer the time

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Arcade Fire v Placebo..... Why!?! Two great bands! I'll take both!

I thought "Never Let Me Go" was awful on first listen, but it has grown on me to no end! Amazing album!

I think they have been playing a pretty odd set on this tour. It'd be great to hear the hits in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Was having a look at their setlist. They play 11 of the new album. It's a bit much IMO. I love the new album, but I have a feeling that with so many new tunes, it will break up any momentum at the gig. They could have mixed it up a bit more and included songs like - Every you, Every me, Nancy Boy, Pure Morning, Special K, 36 Degrees, Special Needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'd been meaning to check, thanks for reminding me!

Yeah, I'm an old fan after a bit of a nostalgia hit so that doesn't really work for me. Fair play if that's what they want to do though, hope the crowd is on board and it's a great night

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Was thinking of going to this but after looking at the last few setlists it's not enough to tempt me up from down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Very true, the new album is a mature, intelligent highpoint in their career. Most never predicted a resurgence of this quality.

Arcade fires last album made no impact at all. They are cooked. A flash in the pan and a disgraced singer is their legacy now.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Friday's nights gig in Newcastle and tonight's in Glasgow have both been cancelled as Brian has issues with his vocal chords and is under medical advice to rest them. His statement today says he is hopeful that he can play Dublin On Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Thought Arcade Fire went up their own hole after Funeral. And I'm a massive fan of bands going up their own hole.

Placebo have always been up their own hole but their music's far more accessible so it's easier to get along with.

For anyone who hasn't been following, there's been a bit of an argy bargy amongst the fans in recent weeks since they play a no phones message at their shows, repeat it on social media, and have quite heavy security policing of it at their gigs.

For me I always agree with the message but not the messaging. Having a band member essentially tell the audience off creates a sour atmosphere.

Will be interesting to see if this show goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Dublin being a 'remaining UK date' of course.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Was really looking forward to this gig as I'd never got to see Placebo live and have been into their music since their debut album.

My best mate who was going to the concert with me texted me yesterday to say it was cancelled - he'd booked the tickets for us almost the moment they were released last Spring.

Hopefully it won't be postponed too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Rescheduled for Monday 26th June https://mcd.ie/placebo-dublin/

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

For me, this now means…

24th June, Iron Maiden @ 3arena

25th June, Peter Gabriel @ 3arena

26th June, Placebo @ 3arena

im not even gonna mention Roger Waters or Depeche Mode on the 10th and 14th 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Was at the re-scheduled night for this on Friday, a good gig but far too focused on the new album. I really like Never Let Me Go but there's only maybe 3 or 4 tracks on it that would justify their slot on a setlist taken from their entire discography.

Was cool to see them doing Bionic as a nod to having recorded it in Dublin but would have preferred Nancy Boy from the same recording session and shocked that there wasn't a single track from Without You I'm Nothing included (especially since we're approaching it's 25th anniversary - perhaps that'll be the next tour?)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/placebo/2023/3arena-dublin-ireland-23a644df.html

Master of the Universe

I had tickets to this but just was not in form for it on a Monday so sold them out Toutless about two hours before the show. Saw them the last time they played the 3 Arena and wasn't too impressed. After reading your post I'm glad I didn't go - would have been gutted by that setlist.

I remember seeing them back in 2001 in the Olympia and to be honest I think I'm going to leave that as my last big memory of them! Absolutely amazing gig.

I enjoyed the gig but have fonder memories of being in the pit at their performance at Oxygen back in 2006 (I'd have been 17 years younger and far, far drunker at that though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I read yesterday that Molko stopped the gig a couple of times to complain about the phone usage. Not sure how big a deal it was or just blown out of proportion.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

He made an announcement before they came on to leave the phone in your pocket and to respect the band and fellow concert goers, no one wants to be looking at your phone screen blocking the view. Of course certain selfish and entitled gobshites assumed that only applied to others and they didn't heed the notice so he stopped mid way through Happy Birthday to plead once more and single out one guy in particular who was front centre. He was pretty pissed off so thought/hoped he was going to encourage a mob rule for those around him to disarm him off his phone. After that no more interruptions although security were going around and shining strobe lights at some culprits.

It’s so annoying at concerts to see so many on their phones with bright screens and even torches alight. Recording crap quality snippets to never watch again.  I was at Tool last year and that was heavily advertised prior that there would be no phone usage and it was refreshing to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Same here - Placebo are one of those bands that a smaller venue suits better. Olympia in 2001 was an amazing gig. New album is a bit meh to be honest bar one or two good tracks. Im glad I didnt head in for this one as I had 2 tickets from the cancelled show but my 25 year old daughter and 21 tear old son went and said it was fairly sh1t to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I like Placebo, and have seen them twice - loved it. But in fairness, it is a bit self-indulgent to play almost all of a very recent album at a gig.

I was weighing up going to it on Monday night. I had a few things going on, but could have made room for it., But when I checked the setlist, I decided to give it a miss. I reckoned there would be too many lull moments for the gig to take any real momentum. I could be wrong, and hope all those that attended had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Placebo are one of my all time favourite bands but the 3 arena is not their sweet spot. Same as Sigur Ros. Amazing at the Ambassador but shite at the arena

Mainly down to the crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DJB030244

interesting, what it? Lack of knowledge of the newer songs or something else?

The entire top tier was curtained off and I think the left and right-most sections of the first seating tiers were too so it was actually quite a small show int terms of numbers there. Rescheduling it and having it on a Monday definitely hurt the ticket sales

The focus on the new album at the start definitely lead to a general lull in the crowd that picked up for some of the better tracks from it (Beautiful James, Sad White Reggae and Try Better Next Time) and Bionic but it really only felt like they got into full swing towards the end as they moved into a selection of hits from the earlier albums... from around Meds forward in the setlist gave a taste of what the gig could have been imho.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I think that they (PLacebo) are kind of victims of their own success.

Much like Iron Maiden, no one goes to an Iron Maiden gig to hear the new album.

Everyone wants to hear the back catalog , same scenario with the Rolling Stones.

I was at the gig in 2001 and loved it, missed the 20th anniversary tour - still annoyed about that.

But I had the option of tickets for the show this week, but looked at setlist.fm and didnt like what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

was in the pit for this myself, thought they were brilliant

Re “Much like Iron Maiden, no one goes to an Iron Maiden gig to hear the new album.”

I beg to differ.

Master of the Universe

Yeah it was a bad comparison, their new album is fantastic 😁

• Advertisement

For me Brian Molko’s tetchy attitude ruined the show. After his quibble about the crowds use of phones (which was minimal by the way), there was an uneasy feeling that they could walk off the stage at any point.

Changing the lyrics of the song “Too many people” to read “all the c#unts do all day, is stare into their phones” was in bad taste. Remember this gig was supposed to to take place last December and postponed at 48hrs notice. Rather than appeasing the crowd, Molko displayed distain towards the enthusiastic crowd throughout the show.

I knew the setlist would be heavily populated with new songs so that posed no issues for me, but I felt it was only during the encore that the show hit the heights it should have. Ironic considering the 3 song encore consisted of 2 covers, but both were absolutely brilliant.

Overall, a good gig but not as great and it could have been.

Advertisement