Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking authenticity of Tag Heuer watch

Options
  • 22-08-2022 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have been looking at picking up a Tag Heuer Aquaracer and have been considering going the pre-owned route. This will be my first ever watch purchase so obviously I am a little cautious to make sure the watch is legit. I have checked on the Tag Heuer warranty page and the watch can be found there but the colour of the watch on the warranty site is different to the actual colour of the watch. Is this a high price for a 2017 watch? What can I do to be sure it is 100% Authentic?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm just wondering have you viewed that actual watch in person as the colours you see on the ad may not be representative of the watch itself. My own humble opinion - the seller has unblemished feedback so that is a positive straight away. If you have any doubts, the only way to know for sure is to have the watch authenticated at an AD (Tag Heuer dealer). The watch is advertised as new which it indeed looks, but it comes with 2 spare links so either the bracelet has been resized (and therefore it is not technically new), or it just happens to have additional links included. The other question I have, has the watch been serviced? It is 5 years old and the synthetic oil used in the movement will break down over time and lose viscosity, I'm not sure of the exact timeframe for services on the calibre 5 movement (it will be either a ETA 2824-2 or Sellita SW200 inside). The price isn't bad and you can probably negotiate something on this latter point. As a point of reference, an authorised Tag dealer is selling nearly the same watch and vintage for €1750 on chrono24:

(change chrono24.fr to chrono24.com to see it in English).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

At that price you’re also in the area of new similar style Tags. If I were you I’d head into an AD for a browse to see what you like in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Thank you both for the replies.

@darwin I have not seen the watch in person so maybe that is the case. Thanks also for pointing out about servicing.

@griffin100 I have looked at the current model of the calibre 5 aquaracer and they are 3100 euro so I am tempted by the one in the link posted.

Advertisement