Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bells on Cat Collars - Is it cruel?

Options
  • 21-08-2022 3:08pm

I have two young female cats, both now approx 1 year old. Both are neutered and they are indoor / outdoor cats.

In the last week they have twice caught small birds and mauled them - the first I was able to rescue and release, the second I have just had the unpleasant job of disposing off. I couldn't get it away from them in time to save it.

They don't have bells on their collars and I have read differing opinions on "belling" cats. One opinion is that it is cruel to bell a cat, as the sound annoys them, and that it doesn't really stop them catching birds anyway.

Thoughts?

(RIP poor little bird).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't think it's cruel, at all. They get used to it very quickly.

On the other matter, you hear such conflicting information that it's hard to know what's true. I have heard that it can train them to be more stealthy, lethal hunters.

Thankfully, our 3 are rubbish at hunting and very rarely catch anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Put a bell on and get 1 of the big collars that flare out,they get used to them quickly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Not cruel.

The birds need all the help they can get. Some cats can't be arsed but others love to hunt.

They've already got collars. Also, bright and reflective are good too to help the birds. Also helps the cats at night with cars etc. Plus you can hear where they are which helps.

Amazon do good reflective collars with good bells or at least they did ... I'll find a link in a bit.

Also, don't let you cats our early during nesting and chick rearing time. Give the birds a chance.

Also, we had a cat who'd catch anything with or without a bell.. birds, rats, mice. He was the Bruce Lee of Cats. Luckily for the birds he's gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

These ones ... Good value ... Aforementioned cat used to go through loads of these. Current cat doesn't lose any.

Those collars are very similar to the ones I have, except the clasp on the ones I have have rounded "ears" (cause the pointy ones can dig in). 😺

I always took the bells off, but at least I kept them and I've put them back on now. My cats don't seem too bothered by the bells at all, but on the other hand the jingling is annoying ME a bit, but I'll learn to put up with it!

We'll see how we get on and hopefully it will spare a few birds ...

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement