Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports mode/fitness tracker question.

Options
  • 21-08-2022 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

So I've a question regarding the sports mode options on my smart watch.

I train regularly in the gym (circuit/cardio) and have done for many years now, but only recently have started to use a fitness tracker that my partner got me.

I use the mode "circuit training" to track calories used during the session, and despite extensive googling I can't seem to get an answer to this.

When should I exit the workout mode on the watch, to end calorie tracking, is it immediately after the gyms timer goes off (after the last exercise session), or is it when my heat rate returns to normal on the watch?

Only reason I'm asking this is, normally my watch would show that I'm burning 5/600 calories per hour during a normal session (based on me ending exercise mode on my watch immediately after the last exercise session in the gym) but yesterday morning I was talking to someone in the gym for about 20 minutes after the session ended, and noticed that as I had not immediately terminated the session on my watch, it had continued to track calories burned, and when I looked my heart rate was down to "warming up" and I had used 750 calories since entering the gym.

So long story short, when exactly is the right time to exit the sports mode on the watch, immediately after the workout, or when your heart rate returns to normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭event

I'd have thought when it ends.

But there is no way a fitness watch is accurately tracking calories burned, its going to be way off

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Thanks for your reply event, yeah I imagine stopping it immediately after session should be the correct way of doing it. And yeah, I treat the watch as a bit of an indicator rather than anything scientific. Amount of times my watch says 10 calories etc when the machine has recorded 25/30 is unreal.

I use mine on hikes and walks a lot too, would love to know how accurate the data is it records here too. Not so much the steps/milage but more the energy expelled during the session.

Advertisement