Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High end atmos soundbar or entry level 5.1 speakers with amp ?

• 20-08-2022 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hi, i'm planning to kit out a small room with a large tv and decent sound system, mostly for watching movies.

For the sound system, I'm undecided on whether to go for an entry level 5.1 system (Q-Acoustics 3010i 5.1 with av receiver) or spend roughly the same on a large soundbar (Samsung HW990B - 11.1.4 with 8 inch subwoofer).

I've never tried an atmos soundbar, but i'm sceptical that such small speakers, no matter how many they cram into a bar, will give a full bodied rich spacious sound with clear voices.

Any opinions on premium atmos soundbar vs entry level separates system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

Depends on your budget. Personally, I'd go with the Q-Acoustics 5.1 and AV receiver all day long over ANY sound bar.

But the way I would do it to spread the cost would be............

1st get an AV receiver, a subwoofer, and a front left, right, (the Q Acoustics 3010i's are great) and center speaker.

For the subwoofer I would only buy from a brand that is a subwoofer company before it's a speaker company, such as SVS or REL. These tend to make much better sub's than speaker companies.

2nd I would, after saving a bit, buy the Q Acoustic's 3030i's and use them as my front left and right, moving the 3010's to surround sound duties or if I found the 3010's are plenty good, I'd just go ahead and buy a pair of these for surrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CraftBeer

In the end I sorta compromised. I bought something that's not as good as a dedicated 5.1, but better than a soundbar.

The Sony HT-A9 and SW5 subwoofer.

I didn't have the room for a center speaker or an amplifier/receiver, and the HT-A9 doesn't have either of those anyway. I then added the Sony A80J which can (sorta) boost the center channel. I'm happy with my choice, but it was very expensive system. Way over what I originally planned to spend. My only gripe is lack of crossover settings on the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

Yes that is better than a sound bar, much better. That integrates well with your Sony tv too as you have said. Happy listening.

Advertisement