Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water to distant ensuite

Options
  • 19-08-2022 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭

Adding ensuite in an old house. It will be very distant from existing hot water supply pipework.

Going all electric is probably the way forward but would have preferred to use hot water from heating system.

That would involve ripping pretty much every floor in the house unless it's possible to go up and over the ceiling with pipe run but I don't think that works? It's a bungalow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

A Stuart Turner Twin pump or similar placed in the hot press should to the job. It's an on demand type pump which will kick in automatically when you turn on shower. You may have to wait up to a minute for the hot water to reach shower, depending on distance, it just takes a bit of getting used to. You can run pipes in attic, needless to say they need to be well insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If I run the hot tap on my kitchen sink and measure the water, I get 6 / litres of cold water before the hot reaches the sink. This means I leave 6 litres of hot water in the pipes when I turn off the tap. That is a gallon of hot water left to go cold in the pipe. If you plan to use hot water on this tap frequently throughout the day you might consider an electrical instant tap or a small under sink water heater

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Interesting.

It would be ensuite so just morning and evening realistically but at about 25m from hot tank, that's along delay for hot water.

I wonder cost wise, what is the difference between electric shower plus instant hot water tap plus priority switch versus pump plus shower controller and normal tap.

Advertisement