Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric trolley?

Options
  • 18-08-2022 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭

I've used a push trolley for last 10-12 years. Considering maybe getting an electric next year, maybe an age thing but getting a bit more tired during rounds and thought it may help. Looks like minimum €600 to get something decent.

Have many here found the change beneficial? Motocaddy and powacaddy seem to be the main reliables, any other suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Just bought a second hand Powakaddy FW3S for €300, always a risk, but seems in decent nick and the battery is running fine so far.

You don't see too many available second hand which is a good sign I would say.

I've been carrying the last few years, but having turned 40 and with a small baby, I thought the time was right to go motorised.

Had hired a couple of rentals recently for the medal comps and I certainly felt fresher on 17 and 18 than usual. Also reached 18 in two for the first time in my last round, coincidence, who knows?

If money wasn't a particular issue having tried a couple I'd go with the Motocaddy M5 GPS. The GPS on it is very good and the trolley is very smooth and has downhill control which is probably more important than it sounds, especially depending on your course. Can be got for around €900 I think, 18 hole lithium is fine, don't think you'd ever need the 36 hole battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm in the mid-30s and I think an electric trolley is a big help, especially at the end of a round. Particularly if it's very hot or quite wet/windy. In terms of features, I wouldn't bother with GPS if you have a watch/laser already. Downhill control isn't that beneficial IMO unless you have a very undulating home course or a mobility issue. As for 36 hole batteries. Really only useful if you're going to be playing more than 18 holes at least semi-regularly. That rules out the vast majority of us.

Coming to the end of the season you may have the option to buy this year's rental from your local pro shop for a massive discount. Our pro usually has a long list of punters queueing up for them (M5 GPS for €400). Alternatively, retailers will be getting new stock in after Xmas and you can usually get something off the previous year's model to clear leftover stock. If a trolley comes up on adverts/donedeal that's 2-3 years old, it should still be in guarantee and the lithium battery should still last several years. Could save a lot on that also.

McGuirks/Halpenny/Clubhouse all do price matching guarantees. If you see one from another UK/IRL web retailer that's in stock and discounted, they'll generally match it. The McGuirks 10% code (Irish Golf Magazine?) from another thread also really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have a compact powacaddy for a few years and it has been pretty good. I had a little bit of trouble with moisture in the controls.

If I was buying again I'd probably go for a golf glider microlite. They seem very robust. The only downside is that they don't seem to indicate how much charge you have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Mentioned it to my pro alright, but needed to get one asap, would be all over the M5 at €400 though, a real rolls 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭coillcam

They're a lovely trolley, ultimately the pro sells them as is with no warranty hence the heavy discount. Motocaddy doesn't provide the typical consumer/retail warranty on them. The rentals only have 1 yr iirc, due to the daily (ab)use they get 😁. I've seen plenty of members with the ex rentals running for several years problem free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I sold mine on and have been carrying all year.

I had the FX7 GPS. Found the GPS matched with my ranger finder great for flag position and any hazards you needed to clear you could get a number. What I can understand is why they don't have a brake and umbrella holder as standard. For the price of them it should be standard. Also the FX7 is quite big when folded, I presume the CT line is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr Devious

Does anyone know if the new version of the motocaddy S1 or M1 will fit in the boot along with the bag WITHOUT having to remove one wheel, like I currently do with the old type S1. Its a nuisance having to remove the wheel as its difficult to get the wheel properly aligned again. Its a Hyundai Tucson boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

Op, fwiw, I can't recommend an electric trolley highly enough. IMO its huge difference to pulling/pushing a cart.

I'm using the same Golf Glider microlite since 2008 - they're simple, robust and there's very little to break or go wrong with them, plus their customer service is fantastic to be fair. On the flip side, they're very basic (a good or bad thing), don't have any GPS or any of that stuff and some bags don't fit on them properly (probably the biggest issue tbh). I've always found that Ping cart bags sit fine on them, sometimes with a bungee cord around the base. Definitely would recommend them but definitely take your bag with you when buying to make sure it fits.

Advertisement