Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festivals/Stadium Rock - 20 years from now

Options
  • 18-08-2022 11:09am

Was just thinking, 10 - 20 years from now, all the big Rock bands will be gone. Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, GNR, Metallica, Foo Fighters, RHCP, ACDC, Maiden, Green Day etc

There simply hasn't been any new band's over the last decade or so that would be popular enough to sell big.

I'm guessing rock shows will sadly become a thing of the past unless something changes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Phishwax

Stadium rock is crap anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd like to think Ghost could kick-on (but maybe they've reached their plateau already)

In fairness, it's just wider audience taste has moved on, so your stadium shows will be more your Ed Sheeran, Adele type stuff in 20 years still

Similar in the rap game, things have changed completely (some think for the better). Just have to accept it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Music evolves. Bands will fill the gap. Adam Lambert will still be singing in front of 3d holograms of Brian May and Roger Taylor. And speaking of Taylor, Queen were seen as past it in the early 80s. they were no longer the band they were once again to become in 1985. I've seen Roger's son Rufus a couple of times with the Darkness now - they are precisely the type of band that went through a very rough patch, but could scale the heights now they see themselves as a much more "serious" act than they once were.

Equally stadium rock had not taken off until well into the Stones' career. They were arguably its pioneers. Who knows what the preferred way of listening to music and attending gigs will be in another 20 years.

And there are others that could grow even more over the next 20 years. The most recent acts I have seen are Madness, Squeeze and Paul Weller who will still be the age of the likes of the Stones are now. In 20 years time we may be seeing 90 year old rockers. Angus Young will "only" be 87!! Brandon Flowers will be 61. Only one of the RHCP will be over 80. New Supergroups may have formed from the remnants of bands that are popular now

And I've seen a number of stars from the 60s still performing in their 80s - the Manfreds and the Hollies for example. Tom Jones' voice sounds as strong at 82 as it did in his 50s/60s. McCartney put on a great performance at Glastonbury

Advertisement