Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player Live TV on Apple TV?

Options
  • 17-08-2022 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Planning to purchase an Apple TV 4K but wanted to check something first with anyone who has an Apple TV.

On the RTE Player App, can you access "Live TV".

For note its not available on the version on the Amazon Fire stick.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yes, you can. Watched the All Ireland a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Great to hear. Many thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Wondering if anyone could clarify a bit on the quality and framerate particularly of the RTE Player live streams on Apple TV hardware.

There is very little info online confirming for certain that the Live streams are present on the RTE app, this thread is one of the only search results - to my knowledge this would make Apple TV the only proper device that is designed to be plugged into a TV where the RTE app carries the live streams, all other devices such as smart tvs, firestick, android/google tv etc. which are designed for use with a tv only have catch up and box sets. meaning casting is the only way to get live streams from mobile device to a TV.

So if the Apple TV app does in fact carry the live streams, can anyone comment as to how the quality is for sports in particular? How is the framerate during matches? I have found that when casting the live stream (which is temperamental anyway) the picture is very juddery, and the motion of a ball is horrible. Would be great to know if the live stream directly from a device is any better? It certainly seems better playing back directly on my phone. @chrislad would love to hear how you found watching the all ireland on it?

I mainly want an easy way to stream the upcoming world cup (I have no need for aerials or sat dishes any other time) but wouldn't mind getting an Apple Tv to replace an existing streaming device if the live streams work/are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

On my tv if I use rte player it doesn't show rte "live on tv" section. If I use rte player via tv direct that section isn't there?

😎

Advertisement