Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better or worse than a year ago?

Options
  • 17-08-2022 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

One of the nice things about the Golf Ireland app is that you can easily review your scores over a long period and calculate or see if you're better or worse than a year ago.

My average Score Differential for 7 rounds in July 2022 is 17.9 versus 20.8 for 5 rounds in July 2021. Almost 3 shots better. My HI on August 1st was 15.4 vs 17.5 a year ago.

I suppose that's progress 🙂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

7 Rounds July 2022 11.8 Avg. Differential | HC lowest of 8.8

4 Rounds July 2021 17 Avg. Differential | HC lowest of 13.1 ( a slight upward trend that month after being at 12.8

1 Rounds July 2020 17.3 Avg. Differential | HC lowest of 15.6

I've a lot more counting scores since WHS than I ever did under CONGU from casual counting rounds. With my work and membership (no comps sunday) it was hard to get even 1 a week so handicap is much more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Russman

Some signs of progress for me this year I guess,

Average differential July 2021: 10

Average differential July 2022: 8.1

Average differential August 2022: 6.1

H/C index end of June 2021: 10.4

H/C index July 2022: 5.6, currently sitting at 5.7 with the ups and downs of old scores dropping off.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

My handicap index is down from 15.4 to 13.3. Not only have I seen a reduction, I'm scoring much more consistently most weeks and my game is all round in better shape. Fluctuations aren't as varied Bar the odd blip here and there. Similar to DanEP82, I can't always make the weekend competition, so it's good to have the opportunity to have scores reflect your game rather than having to play well only in competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭coillcam

Started playing golf in June 2020 when things opened up. It took a while to get a hc but I ended up with a 21.1 index.

2021 started dropping pretty quickly as I had very few cards. Ended the year on 14.5

2022 began very slow and drifted up to 15.2 in May but I've since had some lessons this summer and found form. Currently on 12.2.

I should close out the year with 12.2 at worst as all my counting scores are in the last 10 rounds. I expect to be able to nip into 11s over the last few comps of the season but would be very difficult to go any further. Overall I've improved in all areas of the game. Noticeably I have been losing fewer balls and not going OB off the tee as often. The killers for a round now are the doubles and 3 putts. Some of that is poor course management and mentally switching off but I 100% need more putting work.

Generally, I try to practice at least 1-2 times per week on the short game as my course is 10 mins away. I hit the range every other week and try to play every Sunday comp. My main goal for the rest of the year is to shoot 82 (+10) or less on my home course. My pb is 84 and I've 85/85/86/88/89/87 in my last few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

Played once in July last year and twice this year, which makes July this year twice as good! Slightly better rounds this year, but I wouldn't pay much attention to a trend based on 3 scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

August 18th last year is the closest round I have to today and my WHI was 17.1. Current WHI is 13.8. So decent improvement there. In 2020 which was my first year playing it was 20.2 so consistent enough improvement. However I am a much better player than I was a year ago. Last year I reckon I would hit about 6-7 shanks a round just through poor concentration and setup. And I mean proper hosel rockets that went 90 degrees right. I haven't hit one in the past four rounds I've played (you know things were bad when that's a stat you are keeping track of 🤣)

My goal for this season was to get my Index into the 13s which I've now done and my focus is very much on keeping it there. My next round is a free hit then I have two counting rounds (16.1 & 13.2) coming off before five non-counting rounds. So a couple of solid rounds in the next 8 should see me end September in the low/mid 13s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Current 13.5 versus 19.0 this time last year.

Advertisement