Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy Watch 5 LTE

Options
  • 17-08-2022 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of investing in the Galaxy Watch 5. There appear to be Bluetooth versions and LTE versions - at least in other countries. The LTE version takes an esim and does not require having your phone with you to take calls and answers texts. I know my current mobile carrier Three does not facilitate esims. I've read Vodafone does but haven't been able to confirm it facilitates them for actual smart watches. Nothing on their website and their phone customer care just shuts down.

Anyone here able to confirm if LTE is facilitated currently by any Irish mobile service or is likely to be facilitated in the near future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The answer is no, unless they've changed the rules since they introduced them last year!

Plus Sammy don't sell LTE watches here in Ireland, if you filter connectivity by LTE on their site, you get no results!

I reckon when 3 finally do launch eSIMs that they'll work on everything! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I've pre-ordered one via carphonewarehouse, as I'm heading to London for a few days (hopefully arrives before I leave!)

I was going to try and get a Vodafone PAYG esim, but if not possible will probably initially put one of the global esims on it. esim2go seem like best value that I can find where I can buy the data I want valid for up to 365 days. If anyone has any better suggestions, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mine arrived today and only ordered it yesterday lunchtime.

Didn't get much cahce to play with it yet but no physical bezel will take a while to get used of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye....showed up yesterday (BT model) but haven't even bothered setting it up yet TBH. Actually only opened it to have a look there. Already don't like the strap effort, so I'm hoping the leather strap I got for the last model will fit OK. Same 20mm design so should do the job unless they've altered something.

Given there appears to be little in the way of improvement reading the reviews, probably a trade-in (with another voucher) is the only way I can justify it. Hoping there is a battery life improvement as that was a major downside with the 4, but we shall see. Liked the bezel of the range, but in truth I got a bit sick of how it tended to stick from time to time with the 4 (almost as if debris was getting in), and primarily wanted to go back to a black model after the stainless steel look.

Trade in and voucher is the reason I went for it.

Brought it down to ~€230 .

If I sell on the Buds I'd be down to a very low cost to upgrade.

I like the strap but it's basically made any charger bar the standard one useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Managed to get the Z Fold 4 512GB and Watch 5 Pro for under 1630e. Not a bad deal considering you get 100e eStore voucher for buying the phone + the Note Pack for Z Fold can be claimed and also the Buds Live can be claimed so was a no brainer really.

RRP for 512GB Fold is 2,029 and for watch 5 pro 479 so saving of 1K plus the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Is the Samsung App store still not available in Ireland as it wasn't for the earlier Samsung watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chaps123

Hi Dan, i have a similar set up, i am wondering if you have any issue setting up google wallet on the watch? Thanks

I set up Google wallet on the phone with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

Nearly two weeks now and still unable to use google wallet on the galaxy watch 5 pro. Everytime i try to add my card it says contacting your bank, then the message This phone can't be set up for contactless payments. I had no issue with the 4 classic which i regret tradiing in now. Any tips on how to get this working would be very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

have you contacted the bank?

The reason I ask is that I recently had this problem with my wallet on my OnePlus device and I phoned my bank and after some setting changes on their end problem was resolved on the call. Customer rep wouldn't let me off the call till it was confirmed as working. was painless in the end

Thanks for the advice Uriel. i'll try that tomorrow as i still haven't a solution from samsung or google support yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why not.... Select the send sms option. There are two options bank app or sms option.

If youre bank has barred google pay or online from your card then it won't work only the bank can unlock the request.

I have no problem using google wallet on my phone, nor did i have any issues on the galaxy watch 4. Its just the galaxy watch 5 pro that i'm having problems with. It's not a bank issue. Samsung say it's a google play services issue. Google are investigating since sept 13, no word from them yet with a solution. Reading on samsung community forums it seems to be a problem on the galaxy watch 5 pro and not the normal galaxy 5. i'm very unhappy with this watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

You can but the lite version on Very Ireland, I have the watch 4 lite, but virgin don't support it .

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

Werecdid you get this great deal

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi, I cant see a newer thread on the Galaxy Watch 5 so thought I would ask here. If I bought one in the USA would it work over here? I have a Samsung phone. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Picked one of these up the other day on Amazon.de

Vodafone are now doing the eSims for this (OneNumber). The setup was straightforward and actually works really well so far with the calls I've made with it.

Advertisement