Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change back boiler to gas

Options
  • 16-08-2022 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi all, i'm looking at buying a house that will built in the early 1900s. It has a back boiler heating system that I would be looking at changing to gas. The house is 75m2. Any idea of a rough ball park cost to replace to whole heating system?

Thanks,

TJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JamBur

If I was in your position Id be researching other options. Gas isnt a long term solution any more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We put a gas boiler in in March - 30kW, I think.

4k was the cost with absolutely nothing done to the heating system (the heating system needs an overhaul, but total can of worms that we don't have the cash for right now.) This is a large house though, with 15 or 16 rads on the system.

Is the house physically connected to gas? If not, the cost of that will be about 500eur ish, you will need to get that done first, then the boiler and meter installed on the same day - they won't install a meter without a boiler being in and signed off by an RGI.

We got a gas boiler in a standard 4 bed semi D for just over 2k in 2018. You may be closer to that given your house size, so I would work from there - maybe another 7-10k for the rest of the work, depending on what exactly needs doing and how awkward it is to do, whether you want the immersion connected to the boiler, those types of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

It's in a row of 10 terraced houses, some of the other houses are connected indicating that there is a gas line outside. There's about 9 rads in the house. I reckon i'd like to do a complete plumbing. There's a lot of work required to get the house up to standard for A2W so i'll gas first as there's a main line outside the door in Cork.

Would consider other options but don't think the budget is exactly there with the works that are required to get the house up to a standard for the likes of A2W.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

Are you doing any other work to the house? There's retrofit grants available now to upgrade insulation and heating etc.

Windows

Both external walls with external insulation and attic insulation would likely bring you to b2 ber which is needed for a heat pump.

You'd likely be changing a gas system within ten years if you went that road

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You're in the right location for it so.Connections fees are subsidised so the connection cost won't be too high, and as you say that's the first job.Then look at finding an RGI to install your boiler and they can price for your other work too if you want them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hello. Currently looking to switch to the Gas. Would you be able to PM the installers details.

We are getting a special offer from gas networks ireland. Connection from house to mains on street for 50 euro. Its an August offer only.

Where are based @Gusser09 ?If you look up www.rgii.ie there is a register of RGIs in your area on it and their contact details - I contacted a few around us for prices etc.

I'm thinking of doing all of those things over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

Keep an eye on the grants available on the SEAI website. Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement