Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike box - Dublin airport

Options
  • 15-08-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm due to be flying with Ryanair from Dublin airport and was hoping to take my bike with me in a bike box (Aerocomfort 3.0).

There was a previous thread where people had said that since Dublin airport has changed their conveyor belt system, many bike boxes now don't fit, so they cannot be checked in.

Has anyone got any recent experience with taking a bike through Dublin airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No issue for me and 3 mates in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭youtheman

No issues with me taking my bike through Dublin Airport recently, nor with any of my club mates (about 20 total).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Asdaman

Ok thanks for confirming!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Only Issue I had was we had to bring our Bikeboxes down to an Oversize baggage area in the basement (Checkin Area 14 I think) But other than that, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Traveled a few times this year no issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Same as above. Good to hear that 20 lads had no issue; I guess there were a variety of box sizes and shapes!

Two things I'm doing this year, that I didn't do before, when travelling with disposable cardboard boxes. Bubble wrap the tender bits too, of course.

1 - cut some bits of inch-thick wood to the width of the box, and taped into place as cross-struts after the bike is in the box, to reduce crush risk

2 - tied rope or washing line around the outside of the box, to avoid any risk of the packing tape coming loose.

Have no idea if they were effective, except that both trips (out and back) the box arrived in good shape, as did the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Has anyone gone from Terminal 2 with Are Lingus. I heard that there were no changes to oversize in T1 but T2 has a max 900mm width now?? Not sure if this is anecdotal but maybe someone can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Travelled from T2 last month no issue checking the bike box.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Wow, 20 bikes loaded onto the aircraft... amazing! Maybe things are getting better.....

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-riders-dream-trip-to-iceland-derailed-as-5-bike-bags-left-dublin-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That was my first thought when reading that post. I can't remember which is which now but between Aer Lingus/Ryanair, one has a limit of 6 bikes per flight and the other 10 bikes per flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Came through terminal 1 tonight and amongst the "lost luggage" outside one of the baggage handlers kiosk was a fairly sturdy robust looking bike box with a few a stickers and what looked like the owners name if anyone knows a Micheal Heferenan who's trying to find his bike

Advertisement