Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities - Netflix

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's quite the Murderer's Row of talent there; keen to watch Jennifer Kent's contribution. Looks like she's working with Essie Davis again 'n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

That looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Del Toro has always been a very disappointing director as far as I'm concerned. But this looks interesting enough and has a lot of familiar faces attached, which doesn't really mean anything of course.

I just can't imagine it being that scary or horrifying though.

I think I caught a glimpse of Cthulhu there, so perhaps there might be some H.P. Lovecraft stories involved in this. Don't know how I feel about that TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I watched the first episode last night. It was pure shïte. I'd create more realistic VFX with my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,870 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think that is harsh.

Pans labyrinth is a masterpiece imo.

I haven't loved all of his other films but they have all been beautifully directed if at times slight, the shape of water, nightmare alley.

Don't think he is directing any of these sounds more like he is an exec producer/creator. But as you say some serious talent involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

First one was good, second was a bit ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DelToro, on half speed, often shows more creativity imagination and flourish than most mainstream directors. His films aren't always winners but they're nearly always unique.

Wish he got to make The Hobbit, that was a big loss to cinema. In some other universe the trilogy was a duet of macabre fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Pans Labyrinth' is fine when it's purely focusing on the kid and her adventures with the fairies. But the character of her step dad is absolutely bloody awful and every single time he's on the screen the film dips very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,870 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Up to episode 3 now.

It was by far the strongest episode so far...proper creepy and looked excellent.

Some serious gore and an interesting little story. Plus F Murray Abraham has such a terrific voice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement