Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a T80si

Options
  • 15-08-2022 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Have added a photo of the current model below, it is a T80si thats had its day. The model I want is the Triton Collection 2 here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-Collection-9-5kW-Electric-Shower/dp/B00EUZ5KWO/ref=asc_df_B00EUZ5KWO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232007754445&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5587747701585244772&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-421756614645&th=1

Its £119 on Amazon and e249 on Screwfix.ie, I believe that Tritons from Screwfix come from the UK so the warranty isnt valid in Ireland. Think I might as well just buy from Amazon as Triton.ie have them on their site but they seem to be out of stock. B&Q also have them at e106 on clearance but they are sold out.

But before I buy I just want to check compatibility in terms of this unit replacing the current one. Is my current shower is a 9.5kw? If so will go with that again for this model. Otherwise just wanted to ask if theres any other issues like wiring or plumbing to consider that might make installation of this model from the T80si less than straight forward or is it an easy swap

Finally Ive read through the spec sheets of a few Triton showers and none of them mention something important to me- the decibels of the unit. My current unit is noisy enough but obviously it is pretty old. Has the noise of modern Tritons has come down at all or are you just stuck with the loud whirring sound of the motor no matter what you buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Triton showers bought from Amazon, Screwfix, Argos, B&Q etc are almost all UK models. They have absolutely no warranty in Ireland. Triton collections isn't a model I've ever heard of here in Ireland so it must be a UK only model.

All showers are listed as out of stock on the Irish Triton site. The reason for this is that you can't buy them from Triton themselves. Triton sell to Irish trade counters, bathroom showrooms etc. The end user buys from these outlets and not Triton themselves. If you are unsure why not call Triton in Maynooth. They will be happy to help.

To know if your installation is compatible with the 9.5kw shower we need to know what size cable you have. The fact that your old shower is 9.5kw does not mean that it was installed correctly on the correct sized cable. You need 10mm cable for 9.5kw. Your installer will be able to advise you. They won't connect a 9.5kw shower to 6mm cable regardless of the 9.5kw shower that is already in place

One last point to consider is why are these showers are being heavily discounted. If they are being discounted & UK models then parts will only be available for the next year or so. Irish Triton showers must have parts available for 7 years after they go out of production. This is one of the wonderful EU regulations that the UK have scrapped since brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks Sleeper for the advice on the 10mm cable. If it did need to be upgraded from 6mm is it straightforward enough for the installer. Im guessing the 10mm is just going from the shower to the red on/off switch that is on the other side of the wall and not all the way to the main fuse box?

I think you are right regarding it being a UK model but its being sold here by Screwfix, B&Q imported from there obviously without the warranty (Id say some Irish customers get stung badly by that). I'll have a look around Irish Triton stockists but right now thinking of taking a punt at £116 and take the risk that Id get at least 5 years out of it but hopefully more. Would hope parts might be available on ebay if it does become necessary.

Would you know of a model on the Irish market that is in some way similar to it, ie nice design, sleek and black or just not white anyway

Advertisement