Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casio G-shock solar

Options
  • 15-08-2022 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

I have a Casio solar which has misted up so it needs new seals and pressure testing. Is it worth repairing ? I would rather keep it going but it depends on the price. Is there some where that does that in Ireland ?

Comments

I would have to see it but sometimes what you are describing is not moisture ingress. Many G-Shock solar have a thin sheet of glass just behind the crystal, on which the solar panel is bonded. This sheet of glass can "fog up" with a cloudy substance, which may be off-gassing from the battery or something else.

It's a ball-ache to clean it because the grease is on the inner surface of the glass sandwich, just removing the module is not enough. You need to separate the solar glass from the crystal; it's stuck on and cracks very easily.

The average watch repair place will have no clue what it is, they'll crack the solar panel trying to fix it and won't know how to get a new one. I would only send to the official repair service as they will most likely have seen it before. No idea what they'll charge, enquire.

It's possible that the above does not apply and it's normal fogging (moisture). Loosen the caseback on a low humidity day and leave it somewhere warm for a few hours. If the fogging goes away it's normal moisture. Then you could send it to any local repair service for seal replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Ging and I

You know your G-Shocks :-0

I will be back to my tools in 3 weeks and follow your advice, thanks.

Advertisement