Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to say Bullsh*t

Options
  • 14-08-2022 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Tried looking for an Irish language forum on Boards but failed miserably, so posting this here. Had to resort to a bit of Google translate a certain "term" into Irish, and naturally I also tried the reverse translation. Result below.

bullshit -> caic tarbh

caic tarbh -> bull cake

Is 'cake' a cowpat? Not sure what happened in the translation engine. Anyway how do I say in Irish what I really intended ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

‘Cac bó’, as Gaeilge you say cow sh*t, years since I’ve said that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Thanks for that. Very annoyed that voice output is not available for Irish..

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Just remember that "Cac tarbh" would be the literal Irish translation of the words "bull shít", but it doesn't mean "bullshit" in the sense of a stronger term for the word nonsense as it does in English. You don't generally translate idioms literally, as they often don't carry the same meaning in other languages. Now obviously pretty much anyone who speaks Irish also speaks English fluently, so they'll likely get the meaning, but that's only because they're thinking in English using Irish words.

For instance if someone was talking nonsense, and you wanted to reply "Rubbish!", you wouldn't say "Bruscar!", even though bruscar is the word for literal, physical rubbish. You'd say "Amaidí chainte!", which literally means "stupid talk!", but has the same intention and weight as "Rubbish!"

Also while "cac" is a translation for "shít" (as in faeces), it doesn't have the same gravity as "shít" has in English. It's not natively an obscene or swear word (Irish lacks them). It's the general word for dung - specifically horse dung (but can be used in a more general sense too). Cow dung is actually "bualtrach".

So I wouldn't really say "cac tarbh" is a proper translation of "bullshít" in the sense you're looking for. "Amaidí!",  "Fastaím!" or "Seafóid!" would be more correct translations, rather than "cac tarabh", which is a metaphrase rather than a translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How to say bullsh1t on boards.ie?

Step 1: Register for account

Step 2: Write a post

Step 3: Click on the button that says "Post Comment"

The poster below me has actually won awards for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cacamas was the word I was given but that could be a Munster Irish thing. Raiméis could also work. It's a lot more acceptable and has a very wide range of meanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

"Cacamas" is actually the term for the scum on the surface or molten iron, but it could indeed have an idiomatic meaning too. Raiméis is a good one.

Advertisement