Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changan Motors China

Options
  • 13-08-2022 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure what their plans are for expanding into Europe, but their technology looks amazing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Any idea of how they perform in crash testing?

That could be a stumbling block to being able to sell in the EU.

I've no doubt we could be flooded with Chinese cars in the future, we'll probably be buying them on aliexpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Technology looks fairly mundane to me. Quite a lot of new cars have the tech shown in the pictures and the car looks like any other "SUV" out there.

That being said, I'm sure they will sell in large numbers.... in China. I doubt we will see a lot of these in right hand drive TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Anything other than pictures of screens? It's just screens. What's the technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

I hope they do come to Europe as we need real competition in the EV market especially. The focus of competition for western manufacturers currently seems to be who can increase their prices the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

As you asked. All of this for the equivalent of 31,000 plus VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

It would cost a lot more than €31,000 by the time it got here. More like €50,000+

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just looks like another magnolia crossover to me. Remove the badge and it could be any car brand. Nothing amazing stands out about it imo unless gadgets are your thing.

But you won't be buying all that for 31k plus VAT over here. A poverty spec entry level Dacia Jogger selling for 17k elsewhere yet starts at 26k here. Even another Chinese brand, an entry level MG ZS starts at nearly 38k ffs here even after you deduct the 5k grant off. Add VRT on all those gadgets and watch the price jump up substantially. VRT makes even cheap cars expensive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

For years the industry (rightly) blamed VRT for cars being so expensive here levied by our climate conscious Govt presumably so the Irish consumer can atone for the climate damage caused by their manufacture elsewhere while ironically local consumers are not subjected to any such atonement.

However not sure if this argument stands up with EVs given the zero or limited VRT chargeable on EVs. Doesn't seem to matter, the Irish consumer seems to always pay over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

There are Chinese EVs here. MG, Tesla, Polestar and some EV BMW's are made in China and sold in ROI. Indeed many of the parts in European cars are made in China, even Bosch the makers of most car electronics now makes the parts in china.

Main issue most Chinese companies will have is import taxes, transport costs, European regulations and restrictions such as minimum safety spec, but most importantly getting a name for themselves (advertising) and a dealer network. Even the likes of mg which bought a UK brand, have has issues with quality of new models and time to repair with spare parts shortages and lead time of months on parts from china. European manufacturers have rightly targeted the higher end models, expecting the budget end to be undercut by basic Chinese or dacia cars.

With EVs being relatively simpler than petrol or diesel and more and more Chinese car makers looking abroad the European market will see lots of changes. Overall the number of cars in Europe is declining so it's not exactly a growth market to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Magnolia is right. ID.4 meets CH-R meets Kona meets Lexus grille.

Also, the color harmonization from the four surround view on their own advert is rubbish, so that tells you about their attention to detail. Although I stopped being interested when I see that the panel gaps on their own 3D model don't even match....

• Advertisement
Advertisement