Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for replacing old CCTV

Options
  • 13-08-2022 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Hi have a plug and play Swann cctv system installed in my house for 8 years. id like to upgrade it.

Can i use the existing wires or should they be replaced?

And can anyone recommend a decent brand, one that would be a step up from Swann.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭davidconroy46

If you weren't having any picture faults with the Swan dvr then you can use the existing cables. Hikvision is the best brand around now a days. Is your system IP or HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

HD as far as I can tell. All hard wired. I want to improve the picture quality so I'd like to upgrade the DVR and a couple of camaras. I'd like one camera to have high quality and produce pictures of the area around my gate. Roughly 40m from the house. Current system doesn't do that.

You could go for the hikvision 7204 turbo with four 5mp hdd cameras this system you can also add on a couple of IP cameras, comes with remote viewing.

Would i be right in saying IP uses the Internet. I'd rather avoid this, we are in a rural area and it can be iffy.

What does the 5mp mean regarding cameras?

No would be plug and play. You would use the Internet for remote viewing.

• Advertisement

Ok I thought the difference between IP and HD was wireless? I assuming I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭KaneToad

IPOE cameras are powered by the ethernet cables that connect to the NVR/DVR. Only need one cable to each camera. You can view remotely but you will also still be writing to your DVR/NVR. The quality of the internet is not relevant (except for remote viewing).

You say you have bad internet but one would assume that this won't always be the case?

I bought a few HikVision cameras and an NVR online from that crowd in Kildare. I got one ColourVu and 3 Dark fighters. The NVR was 8 port to allow for future expansion. I am very pleased with it. It wasnt cheap but there is a reason that most commercial places use HikVision.

I wouldn't let the existing wiring infrastructure dictate the replacement project. Figure out what you want from the system - with some future proofing in mind and proceed on that basis.

Good luck with the project.

Ok thanks for explaining that. What's the advantage of connected using ethernet cable as apposed to the normal ones.

I can remote view with my DVR through the swann app. Works on and off depending on my Internet.

The reality is I only use remote viewing when on hols.

Advertisement