Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC Repair - how do I secure my passwords and accounts?

Options
  • 13-08-2022 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,

I need to get my laptop fixed up.. it needs a special driver installed that's beyond my IT ability.

My two options are to drop it into a repair shop or get someone on Fiver.com or similar site to do it remotely.

I have two security issues however.

As i I don't know the people who will be doing the work how do I ensure they :

a) Don't go into chrome and copy down all my passwords that are saved for all my online accounts?

b) Don't install some software that can do more damage or copy credit card info or online banking details etc ?

Is there any way to properly take these precautions before I hand over my machine?

Thanks for your comments..

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

What's the driver for? And what is the specific driver?

Perhaps someone on here may be able to guide you through it via a Zoom share.

You can share your screen but not give them control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭ozmo

only secure way would be to get a new blank laptop or at least a new harddrive in your laptop with a fresh installation. Good opportunity to upgrade to ssd if you haven't already. Don't login to Chrome etc before you send it.

Keep your old drive as backup to transfer data back when you get it back.

Easiest soln. would be find out how install the driver- ask for instructions- cannot be that hard…

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omega99

Thanks for your comments guys.

So no easy way to secure a laptop.

Think I'll have a go at the driver install myself again!

Cheers

Advertisement