Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change licence category before driving test

Options
  • 13-08-2022 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi lads,

A question that might be really stupid but I couldn’t find anywhere. I did my IBT on A2 and i’m waiting for a booking but I changed my mind and now I want direct access to A, is there an easy way to do it or just doing the IBT again?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You can do some extra modules to get your A IBT, obviously you'll have to do the practical bits on an A class bike.

Or you can sit the test on a A2 bike and then do a direct access to gat the A. I think there's a time period you need to wait before you can do the direct access..

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Like Bluefoam said, two options;

Option 1 - Do the test on an A2 bike, get your A2 full licence. Can then arrange to do progressive access Module 5 (i.e. some slow manoeuvres and the road bit of IBT) on an A bike. The cert from the instructor along with your A2 licence can then be exchanged for an A licence.

Option 2 - Re-do IBT to get cert for A category (will likely be able to squeeze this into one day, talk to your IBT instructor), then do test on A bike for A licence.

If you have a bike suitable for the A2 test that you're comfortable on then option 1 might be the sensible route. You then wouldn't need to do the progressive access course until you wanted to switch to riding an A category bike.

Advertisement