Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nct

Options
  • 12-08-2022 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

My nct is expired two days. I booked an nct a few days before but unfortunately there is a 5 and a half month waiting list at my local centre.

Im just curious is there still a grace period like a few years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

No grace period was ever officially in place, just extensions during Covid.

You should call the NCTS directly and see if you can get an appointment closer as a cancellation. They are very good on the phone.

As you have posted in the Insurance forum.... you should also check your insurance policy documents to see what they say about "roadworthiness" or the NCT, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There is no need to wait months for a test. Provided you haven't already booked you can check when they release the cancellations which iirc is about 9PM (or 10PM?) each night. I had the same recently for two cars both times best NCT dates were months in the future but checking every night for a couple of nights got one test within 3 days an the other within 8 days - caveat I did have to drive further than normal for one of the tests as nothing turned up for my local test center.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As you have posted in the Insurance forum.... you should also check your insurance policy documents to see what they say about "roadworthiness" or the NCT, just in case.

Don't bother. Your car does not become unroadworthy at the stroke of midnight when your NCT expires. Over the years, insurance companies have tried all sorts of exclusions to try to get out of paying claims - your tax disc must be up to date etc. Most of them have been outlawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

See this thread for similarly asked question in the current times.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058250304/nct-question#latest

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

In Op's circumstances would they not be wiser to e-mail the insurers to tell them of the NCT situation and ask for confirmation that no point will be taken against them because of the NCT problem if there was an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Telephone NCT phone line and they will eventually get you a test date in a few weeks. Let your insurer know.

The website priority on NCT no longer really works and online booking gives crazy dates. Ringing NCT is only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Haven't been able to get a appointment for car 1 even using telephone line. Up shortly.

The other car can't get an appoint for 5-6 months. Its too far away they won't do that one on the phone. SO I have to wait until it weeks away to use the phone line.

Complete shambles. They should be booking them a 12 months ahead at this point.

The NCT thread is this way: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058065043/nct-during-the-2020-21-covid19-pandemic/p38

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Do the NCT centre take cash

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, according to Q.4 in the FAQs, link below.

NCTS will accept cash, laser/Debit cards and all major credit cards (excluding American Express)

But I'm not sure how you can book if you're going to pay in cash. Because it says in Q7 .. 'The test fee is taken off your credit/debit card once the booking has been confirmed.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Thank you I didn't rember that I paid when booking test so I'm sorted.

You can book over the phone and tell them you will pay in the centre.

Advertisement