Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test Route, tips - Dun Laoghaire Pottery Road

Options
  • 12-08-2022 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

after a loong wait I finally got invited to book the test date

I had hoped to get a pre-test in with a local IBT guy but he's away unfortunately

was wondering if anyone did the test route(s) for that particular RSA centre recently?

and if so any tips/intel appreciated!

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I did it last year. Posted the main route here https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoIRELAND/comments/ot6teg/driving_test_route_dun_laoghaire/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Do a pretest or two. I did one a week before so I had time to practise, then a day before for a bit of confidence.

Any questions, just ask

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭martco

thanks a mil for that

rode it this evening, even though I've been living in the area last 20years or so there were a couple of roads there I did not know existed e.g. that place you had to do the U turn Beach Court... so glad I'm getting a look now, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I spent a good bit of time practising that route

Did the test in feb and was surprised when we came out of the test center and he says turn left :-(

Lucky there was no mic on the headset

Went down to Bakers corner then turned Right on to Kill Ave

Left at Ziggys in to Rose park

First right paralell to Kill Ave down to the stop sign then back out on to kill ave

Left down to the junction ( Honeypark ) and then right up the hill to roundabout at top of the Noggin hill

Up the new ( Thomastown ) road whe i did the emergency braking

Up to the Graduate pub Roundabout and on to church road first right down toward Watson and Left in to Church View for the turnabout

Back out and left and came out on to Granville road

Then right & right again on to Johnstown road

Then left back to pottery road

I was surprised as he got me to turn left off pottery road oppsite the factory entrance there is a short little stretch of road that runs parallel to pottery road but has 2 stop signs about 10M apart

Left back on back on pottery road & back to the test center

And finish

Hope it helps

Post edited by flashinthepan on

thanks a mil flash! will run thru that one tomorrow

so your U-turn was in Churchview Drive? round there and Watsons always feels tight to me a bit lol lets see :)

GETIN! passed this morning, it was garlad's route. exactly.

very decent examiner. no need for nerves just be mature about your business, look him in the eye and be confident in what you have practiced.

on the road relax and demonstrate you are a safe driver.

only thing I can add to everyone's advice on those routes discussed by garlad and flash:

+ practice practice the 2 possible major roundabouts involved (Glenageary and Graduate)

+ make good progress in those semi estatey areas with their ancient concreted carpet....around DLR it's mostly 50's y'know? here's the official CoCo map: https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/overall_map_06_06_17.pdf

+ yeah he's behind you in a car BUT don't worry about it like it's your da and you're guiding him into some a strange area and you're driving compensating to his speed/circumstances/interruptions 'cos you're all afraid to lose him...proceed as instructed in that earpiece!! if he wants you to pull in he will say so, keep it simple, listen to him.

+ arrive early, full covid procedures, into a waiting area. there are very decent bathrooms there, use them to compose organise yourself if needed/deep breath/pick yer nose whatever/relax... he phones you to check you have arrived and collects you to another room, documents, rules of road, radio check then out to bike for the walkaround tech test and manually move bike etc. VERY IMPORTANT bring your own earbuds, 3.5mm jack getting rare enough, Tescos do a simple very small nicely shaped and quality earbud (Phillips) atm for just a tenner I'd recommend AND my little personal trick is to wear one of them super thin lycra balaclava yokes before lid on....keeps them buds soundly in your ears they wont get dragged out when lid on (and my hair in check too lol)

+ I did something cheeky and on this occasion it worked...I asked him if we were turning left or right at the 1st T at the Lidl. and he just told me! so straightaway I was in a good mood fair confidence in what was likely coming!

I had a secondary good reason as well.....IF you are going left....that main crossroads at Bakers? it has a little turning box onto Kill Ave that you might end up in....well it's currently busted...guessing pressure sensor is working intermittently so sometimes you'll be sitting there like a gobshite and no filter green will ever come...just luckily I pass thru there a fair bit (and he actually didn't know btw)

+ Safety safety safety. the man wants to know you are a safe driver, it's not a bike trial, be positive and safety conscious. e.g. I lifesavered and eyeballed him whenever he was directly behind me at likes of a red light junction stop while you are waiting/before turn...I do that all time anyway out there simply because it reminds them you're there literally ;)

good luck and see ye out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Advertisement