Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling Car To UK Buyer (Taxes)

Options
  • 11-08-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi,

I’m potentially selling a car to a buyer in the UK, however they’ve just expressed their concern about potential taxes on their side.

I’m aware of the VRT, VAT and Import Duty coming from the UK to Ireland but unaware of taxes for UK residents importing a car from Ireland?

Does anyone know what / if there are such taxes? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I assume you don't mean Northern Ireland. They should be well able to look this up themselves, but they pay VAT plus Duty and then to register the car. HMRC will decide the amount, so they need to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭paul7g

Thanks Jim. No, it’s London.

That rules the sale out then :-(

I guess I’m so used to the taxes always just being one way (i.e - VRT). I wasn’t aware a UK resident would have to pay VAT and import duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

Before Brexit there would have been no additional taxes.

If the car is still UK registered they could just bring it through Belfast and not pay any taxes.

Ok, thank you.

I brought the car in from the UK just before Brexit, and it is now on an Irish reg.

I presume the fact that it was originally a UK car is irrelevant?

I don’t think that’s relevant in terms of import taxes. But it does mean that you or the buyer would be entitled to a VRT refund when exporting the vehicle.

Is the car extremely rare or exotic? If no then its probably less hassle to just sell it to an Irish buyer.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Yes, both relatively rare and exotic and appreciating a lot in the UK market. There is not one for sale in Ireland.

I’ve had quite a lot of interest in the UK for it in a short period of time.

I might just hold onto it and sample interest in the Irish market.

Thanks again for all of the input, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MakersMark

May be offer the buyer the VRT refund you'll get when exporting to diffray his import costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zidac

Go to dvla website and key in the UK reg and see where the car lives. It is possible the car was not listed as exported so if you have the original V5 doc you ok.

I think you better forget the vrt refund if you go with this option.

I have an import brought in 3 years ago and it is on the dvla system now. If i want to bring to the UK all i need do is mot+tax.

vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

Post edited by zidac on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Unlikely, but not impossible, that the car is worth more in UK than in ireland unless there's a very specific buyer that really wants it and its special or rare. Never mind the hassle of it.

Any chance of telling us what it is, that's what us motor heads like to know!

This. Don't forget to apply for the VRT refund

• Advertisement

The car is on an Irish reg. So the original V5 would be taken during VRT and the car marked as exported in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭goochy

The likes of beshoffs are likely to be able to offer good price on consignment of buy off you themselves .

They don't take the V5, i have nine here and checked this morn and its on dvla system, so what you say did not happen in my case.

I have been VRT’ing cars for years and I can assure you they take the V5 every single time without fail. They give back the second page of the V5 which is completely worthless.

Any UK car thats registered here will stay on the DVLA system but will be marked as exported. So you cant just tax and mot the car like you say. You have to re register the car in the UK.

Enter the UK reg using this link. The car will still be on the DVLA system but the car will be marked as exported.

Is the fact that it is exported not recorded on the site? i know little on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭goochy

You also obviously didn't read the previous post !

Paul,

I would still check this option as my car is still on UK system as of yesterday. Bought almost 3 years ago.

Export marker No

Vehicle status Untaxed

Vehicle colour BLACK

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The input of a re-reg troll on this thread can be treated as likely complete nonsense like most of their posts from previous usernames!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd give the DVLA a call, or get him to do it.

I have a car that started off in the UK, was exported to Ireland and then went back to the UK.

We called the DVLA to re-import it, and it was no issue. Even asked did we want to use the same reg, which we did as we still had the plates.

I'd expect it being a UK car originally makes a massive difference, as the tax has been paid there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement