Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax return needed for foreign rental income that are not remitted (non-domiciled resident)?

• 11-08-2022 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Want some advice before going to tax accountants (so as not to be kicked out for wasting their time)

I moved to Ireland for almost two years and have been a resident since.

My only income is the rental income from the property in the country I came from. None of the income was remitted to Ireland.

As far as I understand, I don't need to pay tax on foreign incomes that are not transferred into Ireland (being a non-domiciled resident)

Do I still need to file a tax return (like form 11)?

Much appreciated if anyone can help! Thanks!

Frane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 c_keogh

Hi Frane,

Firstly, as a non-domiciled person, income from a foreign rental property is only taxable in Ireland to the extent that the income is remitted to Ireland (section 71(2) and (3), Taxes Consolidation Act 1997).

The requirement to submit a tax return in Ireland (without a specific request from Irish Revenue) is contained in section 959I, Taxes Consolidation Act 1997. This section provides that only a "chargeable person" (as defined in section 959A, Taxes Consolidation Act 1997) have to make a income tax return here. A "chargeable person" is a person that is chargeable to tax in a year.

Therefore, not being chargeable to tax, you will not have to make a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 frane

Thanks c_keogh. You're a big saver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Just to add that, if there is a double tax agreement with the other country, typically the agreement will provide that the country of taxation is where the property is located. See list here - https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tax-agreements/double-taxation-treaties/tax-treaties-by-country.aspx?page=F

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Apologies if I'm hijacking this thread incorrectly, but on the same topic - if I have rental income on a property in the UK (with which Ireland has a double-taxation agreement), but don't pay any tax on it in the UK because the income is less than my UK tax allowance - am I right in thinking that I would still have to pay Irish tax on the income i.e. the Irish tax will be calculated against (UK income - UK tax paid) which will be (UK income - 0)..?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kerrymayo23

A similar question re salary from an Australian employer... I'm now resident in Ireland but non-domiciled. I work from home (in Ireland, on phone and online) for my Australian overseas employer, providing advice to clients in Australia. I am paid a salary by Australian employer and will complete an Australian tax return. Can I just pay Australian tax on this income and only pay Irish tax on the portion of this income that I bring into Ireland? I know this is a long shot but worth asking!

• Advertisement
Advertisement