Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watering

Options
  • 10-08-2022 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

With the weather we're having now how often are you watering your garden? I water the plants and newly planted trees every five days or so and water the potted plants every 3 days or so. Is this optimum to increase growth? It's a new garden, everything planted about a year or so and am trying to encourage growth as much as possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Too many variables to give specific information but lately I've been watering most everything every day - pots in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a big garden that is spread out, I tend to water when I remember, which isn't very often. I have a lot of new and newish (last year) shrubs planted. I tend to absolutely saturate the ground before I plant then usually mulch after planting and that's about it. I haven't lost anything planted yet (I have lost a few things in small pots because I am similarly careless with them 🤨.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Pots and hanging baskets every evening. That mallow in the planter that dries out, twice a day. Greenhouse every evening too. Raised beds maybe every third day for a good soaking (if there's been no rain), ditto for the artichokes. Small trees maybe get a good soaking if it hasn't rained for a week.

Wildflower beds if there's been a two week drought (if i'm feeling generous). Established beds used to get watered more often but now it's only if things are looking actively sad (and they're not).

Lawn, never.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭billyhead

I water all my plants everyday during this heatwave both potted and in the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Pots and hanging baskets, every second day.

Borders twice a week in this heat.

Raised beds, every second day.

There is one of my borders that is too far away for my hose to reach so is never watered and my established trees are never waters.

Established plants and trees in the ground shouldn't need much if any water. Watering too much causes the roots to stay closer to surface, if roots have to go searching for water they go deeper into the ground and make for a better anchor for the plant or tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I have a new border, planted this spring/last autumn and only watered it once this year (watered the plants when putting them in as well obviously). Its thickly mulched with bark mulch and soil completely covered with ground covering plants. In full sun but I'm amazed how well the mulch has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Only watering my runner beans daily and every few days the three newly planted trees and the hydrangea and the pots in full sun. Keep an eye on the leaves and they will tell you they need water when they droop. Only water in evening or early morning. Save as much water from household use, plants dont mind a bit of detergent and you would be surprised how much water collects in a bowl in the shower tray. I have moved some pots to shady corner of garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Only watering the food in the polytunnel every second day. The rest can fall where it may.

The IBC tank I have connected to the shed has long since emptied so I'm not wasting water on show plants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pots watered pretty much daily, veg every few days, everything else only when it shows signs of wilting.

as mentioned above, hydrangeas seem to wilt first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how often does exotic grass (feather grass) need watering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Every morning, very early, whilst garden shaded, grass never (actually the heat means less cutting 😊) obviously avoid foliage, aim at soil.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ParkerLV

Is it true that cactuses grow faster if water them more often?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No, watering the correct amount would help them grow at their maximum rate. But obviously a cactus that hardly ever gets any water will probably not grow as well as one that gets a little more provided its not over watered.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement