Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuel costs

Options
  • 09-08-2022 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I am new here and i am really getting concerned about the cost of electricity and general fuel costs this winter.

I wonder what will happen, will we be able to afford to keep warm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

😊 Depends in what you can afford tbh.

I'm not ecstatic about it but will be able to keep my home warn.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It depends on your usage and your income; very bluntly.

Oil and coal prices have dropped since their peak; but they often do drop in summer. Gas is also below the start-of-war peak; but was a lot lower a few weeks ago.

Make sure you are on a current tariff for electricity, and gas if you have it. Get your boiler serviced. Do any quick win energy savings - leaky windows, attic insulation (often easy to do, usually worth it for any 90s or older house), immersion thermostat. These might save you decent amounts of money particularly if its a long time since you checked.

Get a watt meter and check for any appliances using more than they should - they could be faulty. Although the side effect usually is they put out heat! (albeit less efficiently than a modern heating setup)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think everyone is hoping for a mild winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

Oil and Gas are too cheap. We need to see more rises in their prices. Then we will see alternative energies. Hopefully oil and gas prices will double and then we will see conserted efforts in renewables.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering electricity prices are locked to gas prices in Europe, gas price rises current do absolutely nothing to encourage renewables. Until that is de-linked, which won't be any time soon, they don't encourage anything. And gas is what has stayed high.

And this is of no use on this thread. Please go to the climate change, sustainability and environmental issues forum rather than derailing other threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,385 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Gas is giving us circa 50% of power needed for electricity generation in this country most days, tonight it's near 80%, see the link below. Gas and oil central heating will not function without electricity so whether you are on the breadline or a millionaire no power means no heat in that situation. Those with coal and turf open fires can relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zidac

How can people change from oil/coal/gas overnight, there are loads of people struggling already with rising costs. How can these people change to solar/pumps etc? i know a few people and change simply not an option because of cost etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

It may not be ideal but you can live with your hose at a lower temperature. Back in the days of my youth we wore more layers of clothes. Wearing two jumpers was common enough.

Open fires are a disastrous waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Whatever floats your boat.

I'll take the comfort of oil fired heating, and a back boiler heated with coal, any day over going back to the discomfort of the 70s.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kerdizo

question: is there a place where we can check each petrol station's fuel price (for petrol/diesel etc) the same way they do in other european countries like germany/austria (even greece) ?

where each petrol station is obliged to send to a gov dept their pricelist for each type of fuel (and update it whenever it changes) and the respective dept posts it online for everyone to check and compare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The www.pumps.ie and www.pumphunt.com websites are your best bet for road fuel prices.

Ashford in Wicklow has 159.9 for Petrol and 169.9 for Diesel - the cheapest I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

try pumps.ie. The prices are so high a couple of cents per litre is not a game changer for me personally. If diesel dropped back 1.60 a litre, I'd be delighted though. I work with guy who's from Middleton and he regularly drives into Glanmire and Cork city to get his diesel. I think he's mad, by the time he gets there and back he's. probably worse off than he was. The difference is not enough in my opinion to just icy driving around for an hour to save a euro or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I like the principle of it though. Even if he’s only breaking even on it I kinda like it

thank you all for your quick reply

i was aware of the pumps.ie but not the other!

still both are depended on the crowd (us) to submit the prices. Whereas in most of the countries in Europe their govs obliges the owners of the petrol stations to submit their prices and make sure its updated correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I don't think that is correct. There are some sites that are used by fleet operators that update prices, but for literally tens of thousands of fuel stations to update daily as some sort of official requirement is nonsense.

A busy fuel station gets several fuel deliveries a week.

Fuel wholesale prices change every minute

The system here (and in most countries) of a large illuminated sign at the front of the premises displaying prices is as good as you can get - its 100% correct real time information and you can easily compare with neighboring stations at that same time.

In Northern Ireland the consumer council collects data themselves on a group of stations and publish it weekly, but it can be out of date a day later https://www.consumercouncil.org.uk/fuelpricechecker

in most of the European countries the petrol stations update a gov database with their prices the time they update it on their signs....where consumers have access (via the internet)...

why its not happening it puzzles me... ironically UK has not embraced the same processes (as the rest of the europe) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Can you give a link to this as it would be interesting to see what they do.

But I think it is only key motorway sites that do it and it is aimed at international hauliers. There are haulage information sites (membership required) that give live prices on key motorway service stops, but I can't see how tens of thousands of fuel stations would have to upload prices every time they change - and definitely not French station owners (over 13,000)

Advertisement