Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a new car from dealer - taxing it!

Options
  • 09-08-2022 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I gave done a deal - PCP - on a new car - number plated and insured in my name.

I am just wondering on what to do on tax - I was told by dealer that normally you would have 2 weeks grace to tax - my dealer told me something about getting a PIN - as I have only ever bought used cars - I presume I need to wait fo rthe car to be officially registered in my name - then I may be able to tax it.

I tried to reset my password but as the sale only took plave 36 hours ago - i can only presume that the dealer is yet to register it.

Totally clueless about this and will gratefully receive any advice - thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

Your PIN is the last six characters of your vehicle's chassis number (VIN)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Go to motor tax.ie

The pin Last six characters of your vehicle's chassis number (VIN)

this should be on the papers the garage gave you.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

Great thanks. Would it be correct that I would have 2 weeks or so to get it taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Leaving it parked in a public place with no valid tax displayed can result in a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

By law there is no grace period. Its completely up to Garda discretion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You should be able to tax it online 24 hours after the dealer puts the car into your name

Finally looks like i'm in an happy with the tax rate, excellent.

As it's a new car via PCP i can only presume I wont actually receive a tax book myself - ONLY when it is fully paid in 3 years.

I notice the dealers name is on tax details online for tax - I've never bought a new car in my life / let alone PCP- will tax disc arrive at dealers?

Silly questions I know!

thanks a lot , will risk it for a biscuit for another day or two haha

would it be cheeky to put in my own address to tax it?

eg OWNERS NAME - DEALER

ADDRESS - MY ADDRESS

?????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Legal owner of the asset and registered owner or keeper of the car are two completely different things. You can be the registered owner or keeper of a car but it's still owned by the finance company until the final payment is made as it is a secured asset on a loan.

Who's address is currently listed when you log into the motor tax website? If it's not yours then you won't receive the tax disc or log book as they go to the address listed on the motor tax website. With a newly registered car the log book won't be issued until the car is taxed for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You need to complete your details as the registered keeper.

Hopefully I will get this clarified in the coming days.

When I bought car dealer said it would be registered in my name.

Right now, 2 days after sale , on the motor tax site the car is listed as owned by the garage.

I CAN re- divert the disc to my address, but I cannot change the name of the owner, obviously.

Obviously in good faith I trusted that ownership would change over in a day or two.

This might be a trifling matter or else

an oversight on my side.

As they have not yet issued me with a contract ( policy) I naturally gave them a day or two to get the admin side done.

I have a digital copy of the finance agreement and am hopeful I can get it resolved, thus going to wait a day or 2 to see if system updates me as owner in coming day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭gipi

If it's a brand new car, why is it registered in the garage's name at all? Is this a PCP thing?

Any new car I've ever bought has me as the first registered owner, once the garage submits the appropriate paperwork.

Well, I am unsure.

It might be a PCP thing.

But I presume as the car was registered in June - the dealer would simply register in the dealers name.

Then I PRESUME it is passed onto buyer after purchase agreement.

BUT I stand corrected and , after all,

I would agree with anyone who said that I'm not the owner after all.

Hopefully, it will resolve.

I'd just to curious to know if anyone who bought a PCP car had a similar experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭gipi

Ah, it might be a dealer pre-registered car - where dealers register cars they haven't actually sold to improve the sales figures for a particular month or quarter (they then sell on at a bit of a discount, because technically you're not the first owner).

The dealer will have to change owner details to you before you tax it. While there isn't a grace period for tax, if you can show you've just bought it and are waiting for paperwork, you should be ok for a few more days.

I always knew PCP meant a loan. Always.

But I was unsure, and quite a few are unsure , about the Name that is linked to the car for tax purposes .

If all PCP cars tax discs were re- directed to the dealer it would be madness in my opinion!!!

Yes that might be the case.

I'm just not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars, thank you.

At any rate, I am waiting to get my insurance disc and probably is best to have that when I tax it, especially if I tax it for a longer period i.e.

1 year.

Hoping a couple of days will help matters resolve by themselves , otherwise will need some clarification from dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Sounds like its dealer pre-reg car (I assume its a 221) so technically not "new" and hence has a current owner.

The dealer will have to change the ownership and they could just be slow catching up on their admin - I had a similar issue last year where it took nearly 3 weeks! If it goes on for more than a week then ring the dealer and ask what the delay is.

PCP has no bearing on the registered owner, the car will definitely be registered in your name and your address.

As others said there is no grace period for tax and so if you bought the car in Aug then you will need to tax it for the full month of Aug, the only slight danger is if you have it parked on a public road you could get a ticket but you'd want to be very, very unlucky, most guards will look at the reg and understand it probably is just waiting to be taxed. As I said you will end up paying for the full month anything so its not like you are dodging anything. In terms of insurance you need the insurance policy number and expiry when going to tax it but you dont necessarily need the disc. However I'd actually see the lack of an insurance disc as a bigger concern to be honest so if you have an email or something with your policy number on it I would keep it in the car for reference in case you are ever stopped or god forbid have an accident.

Thanks great. Yes, I presumed it was a case of me having to be a bit patient. Funnily enough, it is a 222 car - registered over 2 months ago.

I don't like to.drive the car around with no discs - I'm covered insurance - wise but still awaiting tax.

I will tax it ASAP and will even ask Tax Office for advice.

I could simply tax it online by changing the address to mine. But then , the disc would arrive with xxxx Motors on it -

that would be a bit strange.

THANKS A MILLION FOR YOUR HELP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Buffman

Check here with your reg to see when it transfers to your name and then you can tax it. Don't change the address manually to yours if it's still in the dealers name as that could get messy. Also, you don't require the Insurance disc in hand for taxing, just the policy number and expiry date which you presumably have already and tax for 1 year if you can as you'll pay a 25% higher rate for shorter periods.

Don't worry too much about it, nobody other than a parking warden is going to give a new 222 reg with no discs a second glance at the moment. The motor tax system isn't set up to be very fast with new cars.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

You could tax the car now by just changing the address. You don’t need insurance details to tax the car. Just enter an expiry date and a random number

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it. I remember years back i bought used from a dealer and it took ages for him to send in - although if i remember correctly - he did give me something for the dashboard.

You are right - it would be common sense to just let it go - warning at worst - hopefully in another few days it'll get sorted out. tax office have advised me not to tax it while it is in the name of the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, it used to be snail mail only for the dealers but they can do it online now, but it still takes a few days for the cogs to turn down in the NVDF in Shannon, and that's assuming the dealer put it through promptly.

Private sales are still snail mail unfortunately so they can take even longer again.

Also just FYI, for a new registration they will issue the VRC automatically to you only when you first tax it, not beforehand.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

It's very simple really.

The garage pre registered the car. They do so for many reasons, one being if it was a demo model.

You are still considered the first owner.

They need to send off the car ownership form to the tax office. You will receive your version of the form in the post. Usually takes a week.

That form will have all you need to tax your car (and will contain the same number on your chassis)

The garage mentioned you have two weeks grace, as if you show the guards that you just bought the car, theyll generally be sound. It's not a legal thing though.

By the way, there's no real benefit to holding off on taxing it, except unless you're short on money. The tax will be back dated to the date that garage signed on the form

Appreciate it. I knew most of that and I appreciate I need to wait.

In the meantime , I was told not to tax it. ( by the motor tax office - not related to money at all)

Hopefully they (dealers) will send off whetever. I'm not knowledgeable around cars - to say the least.

Advertisement