Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much for a PC to run RDR2 60 FPS ?

• 09-08-2022 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭

How much for a PC to run RDR2 60 FPS ?

Thinking of cashing in my XBox stuff to go towards a PC which I need for work, but that'd also run a few games at 60 FPS, ideally at 4K, but 1440p would be fine too.

Using RDR2 as a benchmark here. No RT required. Also stuff like Skyrim, GTA5 60 FPS at these resolutions.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do you already have any parts, e.g. monitor/peripherals, or are you starting completely from scratch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Edit: double post somehow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You probably didn't double post, Vanilla shows your new post twice briefly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So I deleted my own post then? Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Have monitor, keyboard, mouse, Xbox controllers ...

• Advertisement

That'll take some of the sting out of at least. What's the model of the monitor? Does it have GSync/FreeSync/VRR support?

Yep, freesync, vrr, 4k.

Lg. It works fine with Xbox Series X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'd say you're looking for a mid end gaming PC, that is RTX 3070 / Core i5 ballpark around 1500 euros.

That would usually mean an AMD GPU would work better with it, unless the VRR on it works okay with an nVidia GPU.

RDR2 isn't that demanding for a PC, an Geforce RTX 3060 Ti, or Radeon 6600XT GPU would give you 60FPS at 1440p.

For 4k that means going up to an RTX 3080/6800 level card though.

Pair one of them with a decent enough and recent 6 core CPU, E.g. Eyzen 5600 or Intel 12600/11500 and 16GB of RAM, and you should be good to go.

The other games are all less demanding, so if you can meet the RDR2 requirements they're also sorted.

Are you building it, or aiming to buy a pre-built?

Might try building it.

If you've any links that'd be great to get an idea of price.

But what I'm reading above I may keep the Xbox Series X and get a separate PC for work (software dev). I don't need a graphics card or super powerful cpu for that.

• Advertisement

As an estimate:

RTX 3080, ~€800

Intel i5 12600 ~€280

Motherboard ~€150

16GB DDR4 ~€75

Case ~€75

1TB NVME SSD ~€100

700W PSU ~€80

Decent heatsink or AIO for CPU ~€75 to €150.

So that's €1600 to €1700. That doesn't include an OS, but a Win10/11 key can be bought fairly cheap.

You may want to up the RAM to 32GB, and that's also assuming DDR4 not DDR5.

That is fantastic information. Thank you for your time.

Wow, Series X is definitely good bang for buck!

Yep, need 32 GB for work.

The current Intel 12th gen CPUs support both DDR4 and DDR5, but the motherboard will only support one or the other, so the choice of board and RAM are linked together.

The GPU cost is the biggest item in there, so you could buy the rest for now, using an iGPU or some cheap basic GPU and add a decent GPU later on.

I screwed up the CPU price, a 12600 is much cheaper than that, I must have enter the 12900 price.

Thanks for your help and that's great advice to get everything but the expensive GPU for now. Might just do that.

Just as an extra thought. You don't mention what kind of software dev work it is, but if it would benefit from lots of cores/threads, the Ryzen route would allow for a 5950x with 16 cores/32 threads for ~€550.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Advertisement