Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temporary Car Insurance Ireland

Options
  • 09-08-2022 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Can anyone please tell me if there is a company that does temporary car insurance in Ireland?

Many thanks,

Nicola.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Generally there isn't.

What you can do though, is to purchase a policy online or over the phone, and resign within 14 days.

That will give you up to 14 days cover.

Disadvantage of that though is that you might need to pay whole annual premium ahead. This will obviously be refunded proportionally to period used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

You might be better off asking in the Insurance forum here: Insurance - Aircraft, Maritime & Motor — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

I don't think it is an offering in Ireland anyway, as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

No such thing. Purchase insurance and cancel within 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 12 golden wings

My current Insurer will allow me to transfer my insurance for a period of time, so that will solve my issue for now.

Thank you all for your help, I very much appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

The app join the fleet allows you to hire a car by the day and provides insurance by the day. If someone say a friend offered their car over this app then you could hire their car by the day. It's a round about way of getting day by day insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Another way out of this if your policy allows driving other cars you can park up your own car @ home & drive the other car under a different owners name no expence involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

adding Open Drive to the policy on the other car may also be an option - I've just been getting insurance quotes and adding Open Drive was only an extra €65 for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to be very careful with the driving of other cars extention and open drive. Some insurance companies have terms and conditions attached to those extentions such as the other car still needs to be insured under it's own policy and/or it needs to have a valid NCT and the car must be not be owned by you. The devil is in the detail so don't just make assumptions about cover.

Advertisement