Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with VRT

Options
  • 09-08-2022 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi there,

I'm looking to import a second-hand car in from the North. It's been in the North before 2020 so I believe only VRT is payable on it, however, when using the online calculator there's a massive difference between the quotes I'm getting, I know these are only estimates and I can only get the final figure when the car is presented but I'd like to have a good idea going in.

The car is an Audi S-Line and when I run the UK registration number online, it does come back as an S-Line, so that's what I've entered into the calculator. Thing is, if I choose the "SLINE" option, the quotes are quite reasonable but if I choose "S LINE" (with the space) then the quotes are sky high (nearly triple).

I'm so confused by this as I'm unsure of how things would go in the VRT centre, if I were to print off the quote for the "SLINE", I would guess he would just copy over the statistical code at face value but this would be taking a big chance. There are also options on the model list that don't specifically state whether it's an SE, S-Line, Technik etc however quotes on these are also crazy expensive.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes have seen this in error a few times, one wrongly added. What I would do is get quotes for these 4 possible specs, S Line should be midway or thereabouts between the Sport and Black edition...

• Technik
    • Sport
    • S Line
    • Black

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭User1998

Find out the Co2 output of the car. Whatever VRT calculation has the same Co2 as the car is the one they will use

I registered a 2015 A6 S-line in 2018.

I had a rough idea how much it was going to cost, but was prepared for arguing my case if it came down to it. The amount they came up with in the VRT centre was higher than what I'd calculated using the website. I had all my documentation with me and up to this point everything had been going very well. You get an insight of the sort of crap these folks have to deal with as you're sitting there. A smile, a bit of empathy and having all your ducks in a row goes a long, long way towards whether they are helpful or not.

When I challenged the valuation, one of the other ladies said "sure she might double check it for you, seeing as you're such a nice fella". Which she did. Turns out I had been looking at the avant costs instead of the saloon version, or something like that. They'll help you if you're nice enough.

Advertisement