Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

i cant get saorsat any advice please

Options
  • 08-08-2022 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm trying to get soarsat in Dublin but for some reason i couldn't.

i have 1m solid dish with multi lnb holder currently i'm gettin 28 + 19 + 13 ,signal is weak though cant get snr pass 70% and agc around 40-50% on an enigma2/openvix box. (i guess that's a problem for another thread ) all connected to a diseq switch.

i have tried to point a regular lnb to 9e ku band and i got some signal and scanned and got few channels, but when i switched to the KA band lnb (lagbear) it didn't work , i have tried to use different set up in the tuner configuration ,switched to user predefined transponder from default one but it didn't do anything.

any advice will be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

To get saorsat you would need to pu the KA lnb as the primary one ie dead centre. The best way to get it is as follows! Use a normal lnb as the primary focus and use correct elevation on dish. You don't say receiver but it needs to be good ie tuner.

Then use this channel. COMEDY CENTRAL GERMANY 11706 H, 27500 2/3 DVB-S2-8PSK. I get 91% snr and 86agc with Vix and 1.1m dish. So aim for best possible. Then change lnb and hope you get a sniff of a signal and then tweak dish elevation etc Then put back multi but weight will affect dish.

In fact what you are trying is a right bind. Do you really need SAORSAT?

I use a VU+ DUO2 .

Make sure you have the correct frequency for saorsat. I don't bother with it anymore. I used this about a year ago, thanks to Apogee

DVB-S2, QPSK, 10.758 GHz, V, 12500, 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 14 saturday17

swoofer you asked about my receiver, i have a twin tuner xtrend enigma2 box, it served me well with anything else. i had the dish centred at astra 19, tomorrow i will try to use the frequency you gave me.

do i really need saorsat ? im starting to ask myself that question too, i only get the Irish channels online (cant get an ariel) so i thought lets get a 4th lnb and job done , but i didn't know it was this hard, i got the other 3 sats tuned in few minutes but saorsat is proving to be a real challenge as if rte doesn't want people to watch their channels but only to pay the licence. i don't understand why they don't have an app for smart tvs for live tv then i wont have to go through al this .

xTREND IS good. But I think RTE made it deliberately difficult to get SAORSAT the further east you go. I'm in Clare. I can get it on a 68CM triax but I have the lnb dead straight on 9e and then the holder I used was for 28east only. It does not have Virgin either and it blocks programs. PITA. I can get saorview 100% This hot weather may even make it more tricky. The good thing there is no skew and lnb will even work upside down.

You may get lucky, let me know outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I have a general query here too.

I'm ditching Sky as part of household cut backs and got an old Vu+ Duo with a 1TB drive for receiver duties. I have a Sky+ HD (non-Q) dual LNB on the dish pointed at Astra 28E for the UK Freeview stuff. It all works fine with Blackhole 3x.

The box has dual tuners that you can specify two satellite feeds for. Is the Saorsat signal strong enough to be picked up with this config, or does the dish need repointing to pick up the spot focus?

I have an indoor high gain antenna that picks up the Saorview signals just fine, but it means having to have additional storage attached to the TV for recording duties and a certain lack of control as a result. I'd prefer to get the Irish stuff through the receiver box if at all possible, but it does not have an additional input beyond the dual tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I get it in Galway on a 1m multi lnb dish on a humax Foxsat box

Check the inputs for lnb, polarisation ,freq etc.

Sometimes they change

• Advertisement

i cant advice in regards to saorsat as u can see i'm struggling a lot to get it working, but if you want to get saorsat + any other satellite you will need an lnb for each satellite ,sky small dish will not be good enough for this set up,i think you will need a 60cm at least or bigger size dish

all regular lnb work fine for other satellites but for saorsat you will need a KA band lnb, then you will need a diseq switch, (cheap piece of equipment).

so your set up will look like this : all lnbs will be connected to a diseq switch ,then from the diseq switch you will have an out cable to go to the tuners in your satellite receiver box. that will be the current cable you have connected to your duo

your box is dual tuner then it will be better to repeat this process for a second diseq, then you will have 2 feeds from multi satellites going to your box.

you might consider keepin your current dish as it is working and try to add a second dish pointed at saorsat, if possible.

or you can do what im struggling to achieve ,one dish to rule them all 😱 .then there's a lot of good advice here in boards on how to get that working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Why would anyone in Dublin want Saorsat when Saorview is infinitely better?

can you please tell me more about your lnb set up ? i though 1m dish is big enough to get saorsat + others, so i centred my dish at astra 19 my logic was less stress on the holder as all the lnbs will be on the sides and i wont have to do an drilling. and i have the other 3 satellites working already so it is a matter of adding 1 more lnb and not restarting from scartch.

but if i have to redo it I'm startin to think is not worth it

i have a dish set up already in place so i thought its better to use what i have already as i cant add an aerial , i have tried indoor aerials they didn't work, so i have no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@saturday17 Thanks, really appreciate that. Just dipping a toe at the moment, so this is all a bit new. The UK free stuff was the main aim, though the Saorview indoor aerial seems to be working well. It's just a case of plugging storage into the TV, but I don't think it has any advanced chron capability for recording.

Cheers, and good luck with your setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I also live in Dublin and receiving Saorview on H7s via outdoor and previously indoor aerial.

I would ask with what aerial did you use and did you setup tuner? Mine is Three Rock

I had many boxes with terrestrial tuners and had a 4" aerial to get a signal.

Upgraded to indoor attic aerial + when sat engineer was here an outdoor aerial was fitted.

@phelixoflaherty are you using a multi lnb ie more than 2 sats? And can you do a pic? If its only 28e and 9 east then that is easy. Here is a u tube video showing how to use a 2 sat holder. And this does work. The hard part is finding 9east and that is why its best to make that primary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUg1vvBZ9QQ

Only using 9e and 28.

But have used 13 in the past.

When I got the humax originally I followed Wattys posts (zero bs and faff).

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/70860270#Comment_70860270

i have tried today to get saorsat but failed big time, i got 9e with ku band, signal was weak 45% was the best i could get, but with ka band lnb a big 0% was the only constant result. i had enough of this no longer interested in getting saorsat.

why rte dont broadcast their channels on astra 28 and saorsat like many other broadcasters do or drop saorsat all together and use astra 28, this mill make many people very happy indeed, and no need for new or extra equipment. And even IF you get saorsat why we have to use a different lnb why not a regular ku band so we can get all the channels 9e has to offer because with the ka band we are limited to the Irish channels only and deprived of the rest of what 9e has to offer. RTE I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING.

thanks everyone for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I lost Saorsat a few weeks ago. I'm assuming both ports on the LNB died. I have access to Saorview so it was primarily from an anorak point of view. Right now, I cant justify paying twice the normal price (€42.70) for a replacement LNB just to keep an eye on a few channels.

Saorsat was always an oddball decision by 2RN. The choice of 9E Ka band was specifically because the footprint barely covered the island and so avoided any copyright issues. YET they still censored some programs and sports. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I've often thought about picking up a Ka-band LNB to see if I can receive Saorsat - and this thread is tickling that itch again! Just like Gerry though, never been able to justify the cost inolved, when I already receive a really strong Soarview signal. It would only get me (another!) pass into the anorak club!

As to why RTE didn't just go with 28e - they can't because of overspill with the UK & Europe. It would be like opening up a market ten times the size of the indigenous one. The FTV encryption way was a possibility, but I would image you would still have rights issues.

Why Saorsat is Ka band and not Ku band though has always been beyond me. As has the 'blocking' of some sports rights, and the lack of VMTV service. Saorsat is there to provide an equivalent service to rural areas - in this regard I think it fails fairly miserably.

I do wonder how many households rely on Saorsat? Not many, I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

VM pay the minimum they can get away with for their Saorview bandwidth so there's no way they would even consider being on Saorsat. I really wonder how many households actually rely on Saorsat. Anyone who had poor or no analogue reception would have long since gone down the Sky route. If you removed the anoraks from the equation, would there even be 100 Saorsat viewers 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The problem with VM is that it shouldn't even be up to them as to whether they are on Soarsat. Soar should be one system - you're either on it of you're not. If you are, then you're on both DTT and satellite. It shouldn't be up to the vendors to choose.

As it stands, we have an infill system, which is tricky to receive (from an equipment and alignment standpoint, esp when compared to Ku-band) and doesn't offer an equivalent level of service. Franky it's ridiculous, and it's been like this since day one.

100 Saorsat viewer is probably about right tbh. And some are likely diaspora in West Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Ka-band means higher frequencies than Ku-band allowing for significantly smaller footprint and avoids/limits the overspill problem.

When it was first launched, Saorsat was much easier to receive but they've reduced the error correction in the signal over time. Could be to save bandwidth costs or further limit overspill.

Highly unlikely RTE will appear in the clear at 28e. Many of its programme rights would be Republic of Ireland only, hence the need for encryption.

• Advertisement

Link to Wattys' post

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/70860270#Comment_70860270

Advertisement