Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2013 Jaguar XF 2.2d, 2012 Merc E220d Sport or 2012 520D M Sport

Options
  • 07-08-2022 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I have narrowed my search down to the 3 cars as above. I like them all and would just like any opinions you guys have on what you would pick.

Many thanks !!

Comments

Have you any links to these cars and we can comment?

I'd say the 5 series will be a sportier car compared to the E220 and XF which would be the most similar to each other.

It goes without saying that mainteance won't be cheap on either of the 3 but if I had to guess the most expensive to maintain would be the Jag.

All lovely cars though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to have a2012 520d MSport up to recently, it's a fantastic car.

I'd look for one with the pronav display, it makes a massive difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Have an older 5 series myself.

The 2.0 diesel is fine, but well it's a bit soft.

Timing chain must be done, preferably before 160000km and the turbo should be done same time, and definitely before 200000km. I just spent €300 on few bits and pieces, seals, oil pipes etc.

Also suspension bits and pieces are expensive.

I'd pick it over the other 2 and deffo the Jag in last place. And any of them must be auto.... The auto in the 5 series is streets ahead.

Read up on the Mercedes sub frame rust issue - I wouldn’t buy that version Mercedes because of that.

I’ve a friend with that model BMW- he had a lot of electrical issues- not sure if that was just an isolated problem so others here could better advise

Given the age of all cars, be prepared for things like replacing springs shocks bushes etc-an annual bill of 1000 euro won’t be unusual servicing these cars in coming years- that’s from experience with similar - best of luck deciding and happy motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've had 2 of the 3 and driven the 3rd for a short period. Heres what I thought of them:

BMW 520d, I had a 2013 520d Msport Touring. Great car and sporty feeling on the road, mine had 19" runflats so the ride was a little on the hard side but I loved it. I drove that car pretty hard and it always seemed sure about where it was gonna go. Never had any issues with that car at all apart from trying to iron out the tracking parameters.

Mercedes E220d, I currently drive a 2015 one so slightly newer than what your looking at but the same platform. This one is the AMG Night edition Premium so has a lot more toys than the BMW. Fantastic car to drive although the drive isn't as sporty or hard as the BMW. Only issue I have had with this car in the 2 years of ownership was an Adblue fault that started a countdown to engine stop. It was an expensive one to fix but partially my own fault so not gonna ding the brand because of that. Again, I have driven this pretty hard but find the extra comfort in the suspension makes it a little bit less predictable than the BMW. Love this car and would buy another any day.

Jaguar XF, Had one for a few weeks on loan and I never came to grips with it at all. Its nice to look at but I never liked how it was all put together, something I have noticed in other Jags too. It drove nice and I thought it had enough power to at least be a sporty drive but found the suspension to be very soft, to be fair though I wasn't driving a sporty version so the R line could have a nice hard ride and tighten it up nicely.

All in all, If you want a good sporty drive get the BMW, If you want sporty drive and comfort get the Merc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

I went through the same process as you're going through a few years ago. In the end I went for the BMW. It's always a risk - older car, expensive to fix if things go wrong. Only thing that went for me was the heater blower - cost me around 350 to fix. Other than that it's been a pleasure to drive. The chain had been done by the previous owner. Whatever you go for, get the service history, and talk to the previous owner's mechanic about it if you can. Then get your own mechanic to give it the once over. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've no experience of the jag at all but most reviews call it a very sporty drive for the class so maybe look up a few reviews and see for yourself. Would be much less common than the bmw and merc in Ireland so you'll struggle to get owners opinions here really.

Bmw, I had a 2014 530d for a year back in 2018/19 and really liked it, got it for a steal in the UK through a cousin of mine who owed me a big favour and made money selling it after a year before that was fashionable! Great car, well specced and I'd recommend. I've driven 520d and once they are a decent model and spec I'd recommend too. Timing chain massive issue around 2012 so do your homework diligently on that.

Uncle had a 2011 merc e200d and I was very underwhelmed by it. I drove it quite a bit as we worked together at the time. It's kind of an older target market car inside and out. It wasn't AMG styling either which I'd insist on if it was my car. Very comfortable though, more so than bmw i had but thats msport. He has the 2016 onwards model now, an e220d and its much nicer even if he still didn't go amg styling again.

I'll throw another option at you, at the same time I had the bmw my girlfriend bought an Audi A6 S Line 2 litre and I loved it. She never drove it much, she shouldn't have bought it but it was her dream car, so when I got the offer for the 530d I was happy to let it go and bought the Audi from her and she bought a smaller petrol car. Its about on par with the bmw for looks and comfort, very little in it when driving apart from the 530d having more power v 2.0 tdi but I'd say bmw was the sportier, just.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jinny_Cat

Thanks for all your help. I decided to go with the F10 BMW 520d SE model. Drove the m-sport and found the suspension a bit stiff. I'm after comfort not speed and agility in my old age :-) !!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The run flat tyres on the MSport probably contribute the most to the rather stiff ride, as they don't soak up the bumps as well as a standard tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

If comfort is the priority are you sure the BMW is for you? I came away unimpressed by the ride of my F10 on standard suspension. Very jittery and rarely settled on anything other than smooth motorway. Run flats don't help either. It's a different story if the car has VDC but that was a very rare option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement