Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Lyric FM based in Lomerick?

Options
  • 06-08-2022 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

What's the story with Lyric FM and Limerick? Why is it based in Limerick? Nothing wrong with that, I am just wondering why.

Do the presenters eg Marty Whelan present their programms from Limerick every day? He lives in Dublin I believe so he goes to Limerick every day to present the programme?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RTE have a substantial data network (and have had for years), with near complete location independence. Presenters can be in any studio.

Lyric is based in Limerick, but Marty works from the radio centre in Montrose.

Will Leahy presents his RTE Gold, and previously 2FM shows, from Limerick. Those stations are based in Dublin. Not sure if Jay Hartigan also works from Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In November 2019 RTE announced they were closing the Limerick operation to save money. Moving to Cork and Dublin. But after a campaign it deferred the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

For the benefit of the OP, when Lyric FM was launched back in 1999, one of its unique aspects was the fact that is would be based in Limerick. Of course, with changes in technology this century, that has become somewhat irrelevant now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even at launch I believe it was fully connected to Montrose, both for data for the playout system and for live audio for studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Thanks for that.

What is the point of having stations based in Cork, Limerick? It makes no difference to the listener. I constantly hear Lillian Smith say she is 'live from Cork City'. Who cares? In fact why did RTE go to Limerick in the first place? What was the advantage to them? Just use Montrose and save the expense of having to get an office etc elsewhere.

• Advertisement

It's unlikely there was sufficient space in Montrose at the time.

More modern production has reduced the number of people (and space those people need) compared to the 1990s. FM3 was only a part time operation prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How dare anyone base anything outside the M50....🙄

Shocking stuff altogether.....🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

weekday day shows are from Limerick, except Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yep Loric FM is based in Lomerick

I guess a lot of it is RTE showing its commitment to 'the provinces'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’d say it was put in Limerick because of the decentralisation frenzy in the mid to late 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I believe Marty's producer for his breakfast show is based in the Limerick studio. Conversely Will Leahy's RTE gold breakfast show is broadcast from Limerick but there is a broadcast assistant is in Montrose to handle and forward text messages, email, whatapp etc.

Before launch in 1989, I think RTE considered Atlantic 252 coming from the Radio Centre in Donnybrook, but instead based it in Trim.

Yes, Will Leahy also accesses the playout in Dublin via Limerick. There was a CloudFlare outage a little while back that brought down all RTE online services for a few hours and he had to resort to playing from CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

Some of us prefer local radio stations or indeed ANY radio station outside of Dublin becuase Dublin radio stations and indeed RTE is full of itself

Will wouldnt mind that at all. He plays the odd song off CD and he loves being old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭its_steve116

For the guy who asked about JJ - most of his shows come from Limerick nowadays but on Saturday just gone he broadcasted from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Don't forget also Co. Galway has both RTE RnaG and TG4 national stations. Maybe partly because of Galway having both a national Tv and radio station led to Lyric FM going to Limerick as well as RTE's continuing radio/TV input from Cork.

Post edited by Antenna on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭GSF

The presenters broadcasting from Limerick rarely mention it whereas the presenters broadcasting from Cork seem to mention it every other link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

I don't know, Lorcan Murray is banging on about being live from Stab any chance he gets. Tedious. No one outside of a few anoraks care.

George Hamilton, having spent a great deal of his career in or around the Top 10 "Fees" earned in RTE tells us how lovely Belfast is of a morning from time to time. I suppose there's a sound op and producer sitting somewhere else while this is going on. What a waste.

Actor / ex-TV3 presenter Simon Delaney filling in for Marty Whelan this week !!!!

More discretionary spending by RTE getting in outside 'presenters' even though their many permanent staffer presenters could fill in (as far as I know SD has no radio experience, apart from filling in for Marty last year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭GSF

Can nobody from limerick broadcast at breakfast because Will Leahy is in their studio? The could surely put the drive presenter on breakfast and sub the drive guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mikeplacebo

SD got a lot of work covering in the past, notably for Tubs back when he was on 2FM.

independent ie/style/celebrity/delaney-has-a-blast-on-first-shift-filling-tubridys-shoes/29164043.html

Staffers would surely be an expense to RTÉ as well. It's unlikely that they have any presenters on staff contracts sitting around doing nothing (though you could make an argument on the value for money John Clarke 'golden' boys Will Leahy and Rick O'Shea represent when they're still on decent six figure packages, more than anyone on 2FM.)

Any production staff would likely have to be given some from of allowance to step up to the role of presenter. You'll often find the big heads on some DJs will push back on local workers filling in, better candidates to steal jobs I suppose. Sure if you hire a plumber they'd source their own cover, if these 'contractors' ever enact that privilege we'd have a very different national broadcaster!

SD's presence does make me wonder what the story with George Hamilton and Gráinne Brookfield is? Both have done fine jobs in the past, even if dear ol' George was coming live from Belfast. Now that's regional broadcasting!!

I've heard Gráinne Brookfield dip her toes into a few bits, she often did continuity and traffic news too. Although I haven't listened to Radio 1 for a long time so couldn't say if she's still there.

Advertisement