Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Not Flushing

Options
  • 05-08-2022 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Upstairs toilet unfortunately doesn't seem to be flushing. When I push down on the handle it goes to flush but it cant quite get the water up as such.

The handle seems to be a bit loose to.

Toilet would be old enough, i think water level looks ok.

I have attached some pics, any suggestions on what to try before potentially calling a plumber?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

The syphon pump housing complete is gone/worn out and needs to be replaced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIHATkwmvnw

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Thank you, I will have a look at the link you shared & see can I do the job.

Out of interest, were you able to see the issue just from the pics?

Common issue if you move the handle up and down and the wire inside the sealed unit is still connected the vacuum inside is worn out and not able to suck the water out.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Thanks again.

It flushes every now & again, but that is the minority, so it is definitely on its way out if not already gone.

I will watch the video with a fresh head in the morning.

Two questions that may be answered in the video but just in case they arent:

1. Do I need to turn off the water somewhere?

2. Do I need a specific size syphon pump housing?

Thanks

Yes water will need to be turned off at the main or in kitchen as toilet is usually fed by mains . I think yours is standard and not a duel flush. Take photos on phone. Big nut and seal underneath the cistern will need to be unscrewed to remove siphon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Rather than having to replace the whole siphon unit it’s likely just the plastic flap on the lifter inside the siphon that’s gone.

you can get the replacement piece in any plumbers supply or somewhere like chadwicks, talk to a staff member there and they’ll show you the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Waldo99

For a close coupled toilet, you should also get a new doughnut to seal between the cistern and pan.

Advertisement