Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubliners getting married in other counties

Options
  • 05-08-2022 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Most people I know from Dublin get married outside of Dublin, reason being the venues are nicer, and probably cheaper too.

We booked a venue about an hour outside Dublin and we keep getting people asking why and seem a bit perplexed and put out even though most guests will be staying over regardless of where it is and we've guests from all over leinster and munster coming so it makes no odds to us. I was really shocked to be honest at the reaction.

I've driven for 6 hours to get to the wedding of a dubliner on the opposite end of the country. It's not something I think about, really, I just think they must have liked the venue and its their day. No one questions if someone goes to Italy or Spain, funnily enough 🤣

Just wondering what people's thoughts on Dubs upping sticks and having their wedding in the countryside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It is your wedding, so you can do what you like. You have to understand that it puts people out having to spend time travelling to a venue and getting no choice but to stay over. Its expensive in terms of time and money. It is great that travelling to far flung weddings hasn't put you off in the past but others are entitled to their thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Tbh the only time I have been to a wedding in Dublin it was a very wealthy couple (I'm not saying this is always the case obviously, it's just my experience). All my family and friends from Dublin had their weddings in other counties.

(Edit: I live in Dublin btw)

Post edited by JayRoc on

• Registered Users Posts: 16 atlastree

Unless we go married in louth or meath these people would have to travel at least 40 minutes anyway so I suppose with some people you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 atlastree

Unless you're doing a very small wedding, getting married in Dublin is so expensive for very little. Cheapest package in a half decent hotel with nice enough grounds for photographs would set you back 11k and that's without food at the drinks reception or a drink for a toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

We had 55 people for our wedding in Dublin. We wanted to make sure anyone who wanted to come could, and about 80% could make it home for less than €30 in a taxi. Obviously it meant the invite list was smaller but that isn't a downside for some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

We got married in Dublin and have been to a few weddings in Dublin.

It made it easier for a lot of guests including the ones coming from London.

We had our ceremony and reception in one place which suited us. Got ready in the hotel and strolled over to the hall for the ceremony.

I've been to two in City Hall and then onto reception in a hotel. Its good crack having a gang of people dressed up in their wedding gear hop on a Luas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only weddings I've been to in Dublin were for a couple living in Kildare, oddly enough - two of them.

Dublin couples all went elsewhere - to Kildare, Meath, Wicklow and Mayo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We're from Dublin and got married in Dublin. I know other Dublin couples who've gotten married in Dublin too.

It wouldn't bother me to travel outside Dublin for a Dublin couples wedding though, within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kurooi

Just make sure there is enough accomodation around, and prices aren't crazy. Though an hour from Dublin, I wouldn't even consider that outside. They can easily get back if they want to.

Nothing wrong with this. Nicer venues, better value for money. Win for everybody.

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

We booked a venue about an hour outside Dublin and we keep getting people asking why and seem a bit perplexed and put out

Sometimes people are just making conversation. Sometimes people can't understand that the world doesn't revolve round them! People live all over the country. A Dublin fella could marry a Cork girl and all the Dublin crew would be delighted to head down to Cork for the weekend. Going an hour outside the capital shouldn't really be that difficult for most!

if you're happy with your decision then be confident about it. Other people's opinions are actually irrelevant. They can accept/decline the invitation as suits them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Well the hour away means that who ever driving can't drink. Honestly hate weddings and going to them. Funny how a small wedding is 55? Honestly my partner and I would struggle to think of 30 people we actually want at it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Want, and get pressured to invite, are different things. I've 26 first cousins - 25 on one side - and when my grandmother on that side was alive she would tut and moan about any wedding that didn't invite all, plus their +1, and maybe even their kids (over 20 by the time she died).

If both families are like that, a 200 person wedding might not accomodate them all!

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Well the hour away means that who ever driving can't drink

If drinking is an absolute vital part of someone's day they can opt to book a room for the night, or decline the invitation. Same as if they were invited to a wedding in any other county in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

The op made the point people were not happy about the hour. I don't drink myself bit it a thing for some people especially at an event like a wedding. I'm sure the hotel would offer a good rate knowing they have them by the balls for such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Your wedding do what ever your two are happy with,

We got married City Hall then a short stroll to the hotel it was great crack,

Guest got taxi's in & taxi's home ,A few stayed over but most just family ,

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You dubs are spoiled 😁

As a culchie there's never been a wedding that we didn't have to drive for an hour or more to, and usually stay overnight. The closest wedding I was ever at was in our home town, six miles away, the furthest we travelled for one was the UK for a cousin's wedding.

For some people though, if you held it in their living room for their convenience they'd moan that they had to travel from their bed. Every family has one! All you can do is lay on the best party within your budget and crack on. Those that want to turn up and sniff that you've majorly inconvenienced them will do that anyway, and those that are excited and happy for you will outweigh them anyway.

Advertisement