Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any information would be a great help.

Options
  • 04-08-2022 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello, so for a long while now it has been my dream to move from where I am now (east Anglia) to the republic of Ireland. I have a secured a job in East Anglia that is part of a company with branches in parts of ROI. The part I am struggling with most is gathering information on what awaits for me when i get to ROI. I have a saving plan accounting for costs such as moving fees, visitations during the house buying, deposit, a couple of months wages for time to move and things like that. I should note that there is still another 4 years on this plan before I feel I will have saved enough money to move me, my partner and our daughter to somewhere near where my current company operates. I have contacted estate agents and financial advisors in ROI and I cant seem to get much information on what monthly bills I should be expecting. I am visiting for a week in October so I will be going into banks and seeing if they can give me an idea of what I need to be earning to be able to live near Galway or Cork.

I have come across this forum and hopefully someone on here knows something about how the Republic of Ireland works. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely Harrison

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Nobody can give you an idea about bills without having a lot of details unfortunately.

Banks certainly will not have staff to do this for you.

Do you plan to rent or buy?

3 bed Semi D or 5 bed McMansion on half an acre.?

Near Cork/Galway again is too vague.

Take Galway for example which side of the city is the office? As this will have an impact on practical options.

East means Gort/Than/Athenry may be commutable options.

Schools can be an issue if there is a shortage of places in the locality.

Car insurance can be expensive or not as it depends on no claims history and licence type, age of drivers, where exactly it will be kept.

House insurance has increased recently mainly because of construction inflation and other things.

Health care has 2 options. Public service and private which has a loading depending on age when you take out the policy.

There are a myriad of private plans with a bewildering array of options.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd imagine the two sets of costs won't be hugely different tbh.

Some stuff in ROI is pricey - cars are one for sure. One the other hand we have no domestic rates or poll tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

The best places to rent or buy may have changed in 4 years' time, but perhaps your employer (in the UK and/or Galway/ Cork) could give you a rough idea of the areas where your colleagues in Ireland tend to live? And if your visit includes those areas , it's worth looking at estate agents' windows and hav maybe talking ta

are the locals will know what's coming down the line property-wise. (

of meeting locals in ho have an idea

ng to bear in mind (nearer the time, perhaps) is that credit histories don't cross international borders. (Unless that's changed since we moved from the UK to the ROI, but I believe it still causes problems even for those living on one side of the Irish border and working on the other). I had to close my UK credit card account and start again as if I'd never had one. Which I only found out when informing the provider of my new address, as advice on moving didn't mention it (and still doesn't, judging from my recent searches on moving plants

Advertisement