Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Neighbour's back garden like a jungle - recourse?

• 04-08-2022 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

My mother's next door back garden is like a jungle as per title - pic to show I'm not exaggerating.

Man next door is 80+, as is my mother, he lives alone and in ill health. Not sure if kids/grandkids visit or what.

There is mice in my mother's house now, got to be connected I feel?

Any options to get this cleared?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

Comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Nothing extraordinary there. It's 'shrubbed'. A wildlife friendly garden can look worse than this. It certainly doesn't suggest it's a source for mice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OP offer nicely to help him clear his garden if he'd like. If he says no then that's the end of it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Give over! He does say he's not sure if this is the correct forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,686 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The only "legal" penalty/threat/recourse would be if it contained weeds you must control under the Noxious Weeds Act.............but it doesn't seem to have any from that photo. Even then, it would only be you reporting him for it. Nothing you could do directly on it

Other than that, his property and none of your business really as it's not doing you any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Confused11811

You could speak with your neighbor and then contact these guys and see if a care and repair program for the elderly is running in the area.

https://www.ageaction.ie/how-we-can-help/care-and-repair

TBH the garden isn't that bad, if you're mother is having a mice issue it's probably more to do with a food source in her home. Older homes with subfloors are always susceptible to mice living there. Find where they're getting in see if it's possible to seal.

Post edited by Confused11811 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks a lot for your help ... in case it's not clear, his "shrubs" are over 2 meters tall. I'm to buy a strimmer (well past that), cut his garden, get a trailer (and install a hitch on my car) and pay to dispose of it?

There is no talking to this guy, he was a **** when young, just an old one now. My mother is very upset about it. I'm on her side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Be right back

To be honest, it doesn't seem to be encroaching on your mother's side of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Local Community Centres and/or parish sometimes have a team that do just this for the elderly, might be worth a call?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,606 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is not bad at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phormium

It really doesn't look that bad, a 2m hedge is not that high, I have a hedge that is at least 3m. Could be a lot worse, could have leylandi planted over the wall!

I seriously doubt that garden is causing mice unless he's throwing out food which is drawing them but he could equally do that on a concrete path or lawn and it would have same effect.

If there is any of the hedge overhanging your mother's bounday you can trim it and offer back the cuttings which he hardly wants so then you have to dispose of them but I have seen a lot messier gardens, I was expecting pics of old washing machines etc with weeds growing in and around them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Be right back

^^ or piles of rubbish bags!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We've started to left all the edges of the garden grow for biodiversity.

Didn't realise the neighbours could be moaning about a garden that's nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How exactly does that garden cause mice for your mother?

They go where the food is, not the shade...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Mind your business, he's got some nice rewilding going on there

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I have to say my garden is worse than that one, overgrown with large trees. I plan on getting two trees felled soon after the late nesting is over as we have loads and loads of wildlife coming into the garden, but not one mouse I can assure you. Mice/rats only come after food, unless he's leaving binbags of rotting food out, I can't see anything like that in the photo. What about other neighbours? They could be coming from somewhere else, check what else is in the neighbourhood gardens. Also we have some veggies growing in our garden and still no mousies!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭HazeDoll

The only thing that will keep rats or mice around your house is access to food.

I live surrounded by wilderness and I don't have rats or mice because I keep floors clean and food safely out of their way.

OP, you must have had a very urban upbringing if you think that a moderately neglected back garden is going to encroach on your tidy life to that extent. However, your last post reveals that you don't like your neighbour and I suspect you're looking for something to get annoyed about.

Take a look around the backs of presses to see if mice might be making their way in. Get some plastic boxes with lids in Dunnes and start putting food away in them. Make sure pets' bowls are taken up when they're finished eating, even if there is food left. Sweep or vacuum the kitchen floor at least once a day and be extra careful to vacuum anywhere else food is eaten (for example in the sitting room while watching tv).

Tell your mother to enjoy her own garden and stop getting upset by her neighbour's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

If you have it to spare, and if he wanted, you could offer to pay for a one off cut to help him get back on top of it. Really wouldn't cost that much and you wouldn't have to worry about strimmers and trailers etc.

Advertisement