Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roster Change

Options
  • 03-08-2022 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi guys

I work as three person team. Our roster and hours are set. I work Monday to Friday and two other colleagues split the weekends and do days in between the week.

The senior person been there 13 years and is a nightmare. Doesn't do her work, doesn't work as a team and has it out for me. I been to management many times aboit it. They do noting as she been there so long and is very friendly with the boss.

We had a change of ownership and they decided our roster needs to change. There changing everything.

They decided there can only be two of us working on any given day. There not cutting our hours but the three of us can't be in on the same day.

I was told this at a meeting yesterday and it was enforced immediately. The new person was told on Sunday not to come in on the Tuesday like they would normally.

I was only told this at a meeting on Tuesday, I was a bit blindsided by the announcement. My manger made it seem like there was like a plan in place. It seem like her and the senior had a template in place and we would go through it later on.

End of day no update and I contacted my manger who said will talk tomorrow.

Came in first thing today and spoke with the senior. She said she didn't have it and that her and her husband were working on it. Her husband doesn't work in the company.

She then on a rant about her her days and hours won't change and ours would be cut, a few other things. I learned to just say yeah as she gets annoyed if you ask questions. She also told me she only looking after herself, she didn't give a **** about the place and your on your own etc etc

A few weeks ago I brought up an issue with the manger about the senior. After that the senior was pissed at me.

So I went to my manger in the evening and told what happened earlier. They were annoyed at me asking why I didn't come while the senior was here. I try explain I was trying to avoid conflict. They insisted they call her at home? I ask them why? She made it very clear she doesn't care as her hours won't changed.

This was confirmed by the manger. She gives a wish washy excuse as to why. All the things the senior said were false yet somehow this was my fault? As I should have told them earlier so they could tell her?

Hello you put her in charge of this, should you not had made sure she knew what she was doing first!

They wanted to know what I wanted. I told them I wanted a plan as no one seems to know how this new roster will work.

There solution was for me and the new person to work on it. The senior is off for a couple of days. I took a stab at it this evening.

It's impossible to make it work. We will have overlap and more difficult with the senior days not being moved.

I been stressed over work lately. This has made it worse.

I understand they can't change My roster without a month's notice? And since I being doing my hours for more then six months I don't have to agree to any changes?

Is this true? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,720 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well, you don't have to agree to any changes. But if you don't, they may make you redundant. Is that what you want?

How long have you been there?

Could you get a job elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

2 half years

Yeah could go somewhere else with my experience. Honestly do it's seems impossible to make the new dates work.

It just seems like upper management made this decision and no one took time to try figure out if it could work. Going try tomorrow but have feeling going to management with and they have no choice to keep things way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I would stay out of it and tell them your hours are fixed if they come to you with a new proposal you will look at it and you can talk. Start looking best way to get a pay rise anyway. If they do make changes you might be in a redundancy situation, if they have done redundancies before you would probably get the same terms. Otherwise it's statuary so 5 weeks caped at 600 a week, 3000 euros. I'd get out now.

Sounds like they want to reduce the team to two, and manage either you or your other colleague out.

They'll wait and see who resigns first, to avoid paying redundancy, and won't replace them.

Thank guys

The new guy and I worked out the roster. My hours still the same. The new guy is working in different departments in the company to make up the days she lost. I'm on holiday no idea if it been changed again, looking for something else when I get back, it's too stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The thing about this is you are entitled to a roster a month in advance. Nobody can make plans in that situation. If management decide to delegate they must make sure who ever they delegate to sorts the issue.

Bringing in a change and implementing it immediately is without a plan is BS. 15 years ago a company I worked for had a lot of out if ours work. They decided to make it as much as possible part of our working week. The issue was you would be scheduled to work tonight and a project manager would ring and cancel at 12 or 1pm. Basically the Pam's were forcasting the work before it was ready

We had a meeting and the managers bladdered on about the void if the company etc. We explained the problems with home life child minding etc. The managers were ignoring this until I told them I would solve it for them. One perked up and asked me how.

I said and I quote ''it was rostered work I would not be available under them terms and conditions. Either they sorted it or I would not be doing it''.

They sorted it after that. The amazing part was when senior management heard what was going on they sided with us as well. It is as just a couple of PM's and middle managers not doing there job

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah it's frustrating I appiled for other jobs. I'm on holiday but will have meeting with them when I get back.

Advertisement